Yuba County is home to 78,000-plus residents in picturesque communities that offer a small-town feel. The County employs nearly 900 people across 19 divisions. Five unions and ten bargaining units with specialized work and pay rules add a layer of complexity for timesheets, earnings, benefits, and securities for a new HRIS system. Two HR staffers recorded employee contact information, salary, transactions and benefits information in multiple spreadsheets and systems without automation. All employee data was then entered again into a third-party payroll system.
An HR Analyst had to gather data from the many sources to produce fiscal budget information such as the salary and benefits report. HR analytics were a struggle to design with data stored in a myriad of places.
Onboarding Interactions were transaction based; the paper-based new-hire process was cumbersome for employees and HR staff. Yuba County also recognizes the need to move from a monthly to a biweekly payroll cycle, as well as online time reporting. Finding a system that could meet our needs and budget was a challenge to overcome.
Yuba County needed a solution that could:
- Deliver a unified solution that provides a single source of up-to-date employee information with easy access and utilization of data
- Create an efficient, paperless onboarding process for both new hires and HR staff, freeing up time for more relational interactions
- Streamline the payroll process and HR functions to deliver efficiencies
- Provide access to real-time workforce data and extensive reporting functionality, including opportunities to create custom reports
- Integrate with third-party solutions for the efficient transfer and sharing of information
"We spent a lot of time on our new hire checklist [in UKG Ready] to get it right. It brings value to the County. We look concise and efficient in our initial handout to an employee: Here's what we need from you. It allows us to be relational and keep the transactional in UKG."
Yuba County implemented the UKG Ready™ (formerly Kronos Workforce Ready®) solution to streamline its payroll process, improve HR functionality, and gain access to real-time data for timely, informed decisions. The County will move from a monthly to bi-weekly payroll cycle and is poised to implement the timekeeping module next. UKG Ready interfaces with the County's third-party benefits providers and is reporting benefits information to CalPERS Retirement.
UKG Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease onboarding, administering benefits, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access, accrual balances, tax documents, and pay statements at any time and location
UKG Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute and on-the-go payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely and accurate direct deposit payments to employees with every payday
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
The new-hire checklists and onboarding information in UKG Ready have streamlined the onboarding process for both new employees and HR staff; allowing for greater opportunity to focus on building relationships instead of on transactional tasks. With all employee information residing in the single, unified solution, changes and additions can be made in just one place, eliminating numerous spreadsheets and duplicate entry of payroll information. Just over one payroll staffer now dedicates time to payroll. Payroll records are easily accessed in the solution, enabling the HR staff to quickly pull together salary and benefit information for accurate budgeting. HR and payroll staff use UKG Ready reports extensively to gather employee, payroll, benefits, position, and retirement information in individual and cross-referenced reports. A merit increase report was designed in the solution with custom columns showing where an employee falls on the index table and their next step increase. A benefits balance report that took days to complete previously is now available immediately. For Yuba County, accessing workforce data is far simpler and more efficient now.