Wyoming Department of Health (WDH) oversees healthcare facilities and public and behavioral health programs for state residents. Employees filled out paper timecards monthly, typically writing eight hours daily and not their actual time. Supervisors reviewed and approved timecards before sending them to HR/payroll, where staff checked calculations and keyed information into spreadsheets. WDH payroll staff spent 17,040 hours annually — eight full-time employees (FTEs) and $300,000 in labor costs — to support manual timekeeping and payroll processing.
What Wyoming Department of Health needed was a solution that could:
- Automate and streamline timekeeping and payroll processing to increase accuracy and productivity
- Calculate complex shift differential pay calculations for perfect paychecks
- Assign leave time to fill gaps when employees don't work 40 hours weekly
- Accurately track employee overtime activities and grant-related time
- Track employee time spent assisting clients at long-term care facilities to meet payroll-based journal (PBJ) reporting requirements
“Supervisors and managers are very happy with our Kronos solution because they don't have to figure out and calculate shift differentials. We got back 12,000 hours annually.”
Melanie Doolin, CPM
Human Resources Administrator
An automated Kronos® workforce management solution in the cloud streamlines Wyoming Department of Health processes and provides real-time workforce data to support informed decision making, increase productivity, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Gain insight into operations and track labor costs precisely
- View the status of each grant, project, or production operation
- Recognize productivity issues and redeploy resources to align capacity with demand
WDH has decreased payroll processing staff from eight to less than 1.75 FTEs, freeing up staff for other duties. Payroll processing has been reduced from two weeks to 90 minutes, with payroll ready five to 10 days before deadline. Automatic shift differential calculations save 12,000 staff hours annually, and employees are accurately paid for all time worked. Leave inflation is eliminated with leave time automatically assigned to employee time gaps. Reporting of employee time for PBJ reporting is easily completed through custom reports. Accurate grant tracking will save $2 million in state funds, a critical benefit in light of budget deficits.