Some hourly and salaried non-exempt employees of the Wicomico County School District in Maryland, which serves the educational needs of more than 14,500 students at 25 schools, walked some distance to a time clock to clock in and out. Employees took their timesheets to their supervisors for approval before the information was keyed into the payroll system, an error-prone process that required corrected paychecks. Paper tracking of employee lunch time was inaccurate, and some employees took extended lunches. Leave time was also tracked on paper, creating possible errors and inaccurate records, which led to compliance issues with the state retirement system.
What Wicomico County School District needed was a solution that could:
- Track the actual time worked of hourly and salaried non-exempt employees
- Provide visibility into which employees were taking extended lunches
- Streamline the time-consuming and error-prone payroll process
- Ensure that employees are compensated correctly for time worked
- Accurately track all employee leave time to mitigate compliance issues
"Our Kronos solution has enabled us to better comply with FLSA for our non-exempt employees, especially with tracking lunch breaks and comp time and the use of comp time. FLSA compliance is priceless because it can save potential lawsuits."
Using an automated Kronos workforce management solution, Wicomico has been able to accurately track all employee time, give employees visibility into their regular time and leave time information, streamline the payroll process, and mitigate compliance issues.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
- Remotely monitor employee time and attendance information through cloud-based technology
Salaried employees, including teachers, record their attendance at an office or classroom computer, keeping them with students and eliminating travel across campus to sign in. Hourly and non-exempt staff members clock in and out at the beginning and end of the day and at lunch. The solution shows their actual time worked and has eliminated extended lunch breaks. Employees and their supervisors review and approve time at a time clock or online, increasing productivity, streamlining payroll processing, and significantly reducing paycheck errors. Solution self-service tools enable employees to submit leave requests online and check on supervisor approval. Automatic tracking of all leave time provides accurate leave balances, mitigating FLSA and FMLA compliance concerns.