Some hourly and salaried non-exempt employees of Wicomico County Public Schools in Maryland, which serve the educational needs of more than 14,500 students at 25 schools, walked some distance to a timeclock to clock in and out. Employees took their timesheets to their supervisors for approval before the information was keyed into the payroll system, an error-prone process that required corrected paychecks. Paper tracking of employee lunch time was inaccurate, and some employees took extended lunches. Leave time also was tracked on paper, creating possible errors and inaccurate records, which led to compliance issues with the state retirement system.
Wicomico County Public Schools needed a solution that could:
- Track the actual time worked of substitutes and hourly and salaried non-exempt employees
- Provide visibility into which employees were taking extended lunches
- Streamline the time-consuming and error-prone payroll process
- Ensure that employees are compensated correctly for time worked
- Accurately track all employee leave time to mitigate compliance issues
"Our UKG solution has enabled us to better comply with FLSA for our non-exempt employees, especially with tracking lunch breaks and comp time and the use of comp time. FLSA compliance is priceless because it can save potential lawsuits."
Using an automated UKG workforce management solution, Wicomico has been able to accurately track all employee time, give employees visibility into their regular time and leave time information, streamline the payroll process, and mitigate compliance issues. Migrating to UKG Ready™ (formerly Kronos Workforce Ready®) and leveraging its mobile capabilities has provided additional flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic.
UKG Ready Time
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
UKG Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on the organization’s policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
UKG Ready Leave Manager
- Automate the administration and tracking of paid and unpaid leave to maintain accurate balances, prevent unauthorized time off, and control absence costs
- Apply leave of absence policies accurately and consistently to minimize employee grievances and the risk of costly litigation
- Improve employee morale with self-service tools employees can use to view their leave eligibility and requests and track their balances
Salaried employees, including teachers, record their attendance at an office or classroom computer or using the UKG Ready mobile app, keeping them with students and eliminating travel across campus to sign in. The younger workforce expects mobile access, and these self-service tools build trust between employees and managers. UKG Ready integrates with Frontline, the district’s substitute management system, to track substitutes’ actual time worked as well as pay codes associated with staff’s extra-duty activities. Hourly and non-exempt staff members clock in and out at the beginning and end of the day and at lunch. The solution shows their actual time worked and has eliminated extended lunch breaks. Adding hazard and premium pay codes is easy, and employees can quickly punch in for specific tasks associated with the correct pay codes. Employees and their supervisors review and approve time at a timeclock, online, or using the mobile app ― increasing productivity, streamlining payroll processing, and significantly reducing paycheck errors. Solution self-service tools enable employees to submit leave requests and check on supervisor approval. Automatic tracking of all leave time provides accurate leave balances, mitigating FLSA and FMLA compliance concerns.