Westside Donut Ventures LLC, which owns and operates Dunkin' and Baskin Robbins restaurants in New York City, Long Island, and upstate New York, grew from one location in 2006 to 75 stores, including the addition of 25 stores in 2018 alone. Setting up operations for numerous new restaurants across the region was challenging with paper-based processes. Ensuring all paperwork was completed properly and approved when onboarding new hires was time consuming and emailing new employees' personal information to the main office posed security issues. Tracking paid time off, leave, and benefits for 90 managers on spreadsheets created additional challenges. Five payroll staffers manually entered employee time for third-party payroll processing. Each Monday, the operations director was deskbound when reviewing payroll for three to four hours before processing, taking valuable time away from visiting stores. When managers distributed paper checks, if employees cashed them a day early, the payroll company assessed a costly fee.
Westside Donut Ventures needed a solution that could:
- Integrate scheduling, timekeeping, payroll, and HR workflows in a single, unified platform that supports paperless processes
- Create secure and frictionless onboarding that provides ease of use and confidence for managers and new hires alike
- Streamline payroll processing and ensure payroll accuracy while freeing up staff for other tasks
- Provide mobile functionality to enable managers to manage in the moment with anytime access to real-time workforce data for timely staffing decisions
- Give employees self-service mobile access to schedules and the ability to request time off and view their employment information, enhancing their engagement
"We all know payroll gets adjusted week by week to see where you are and make improvements. If you wait three days before you get these numbers, you're already three days behind the power of making the decision. UKG has given us the power to make faster decisions, which has been a real benefit."
Director of Operations
To improve efficiencies in HR and payroll processes, align scheduling, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance, Westside Donut Ventures selected UKG Ready™ (formerly Kronos Workforce Ready®), a unified suite of cloud-based solutions that integrates all employee data in a single platform.
UKG Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease onboarding, administering benefits, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
UKG Ready Payroll and Payroll Services
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute and on-the-go payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely and accurate direct deposit payments to employees with every payday
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
UKG Ready Mobile
- Gain instant access to payroll data, make changes, and submit payroll while on the go
- Submit timesheets and time-off requests and view schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Remotely approve time-off and leave requests, approve timesheets, and view workforce reports from anywhere
- Create a completely online employee onboarding process that's secure in the cloud
With the single, unified solution, district and store managers can use their mobile devices — on the road and in the office — to access real-time payroll information, compare employee hours to schedules, and see who is taking and requesting time off. The operations director checks current payroll information for every store on his phone, adjusts the following week's projected payroll if needed, and can see payroll percentage comparisons by store to determine the cause of higher payrolls. He also uses his mobile device to review and approve payroll within minutes each Monday. Employees are paid via direct deposit or a prepaid card. On their phones, employees can view their pay statements and W2 forms and request time off. Managers use their mobile devices to see the number of employees working at their location, approve time-off requests, and track turnover and terminations. Onboarding of new employees uses paperless workflows that get new hires on the job faster while keeping their personal information secure. Paperless processes also are contact-free, have streamlined workforce management, and have delivered time and cost savings.