Situated outside Chicago, West Suburban Bank's 36 branch locations have seen decreasing customer traffic as more customers bank online and use mobile applications. Without concrete data on the volume and types of transactions performed, branch managers relied on best guesses when scheduling the right number of full-time and part-time employees required each hour to meet customer needs, often overstaffing in case the branch got busy. This resulted in unproductive branch staff time and excessive labor costs.
What West Suburban Bank needed was a solution that could:
- Forecast branch traffic and transaction volume to optimize staff schedules to better handle customer traffic and customers' banking needs
- Align employees' availability and skill sets to branch tasks
- Minimize unneeded staffing to better control labor costs
- Provide detailed reports on staff productivity and labor costs to improve branch efficiency
“Kronos has allowed us to be able to look at time periods of customers and transaction volume and help us identify adequate labor cost…. And that has helped with decreasing how much we're spending on the bottom line for labor costs.”
Vice President - Regional Manager
To optimize scheduling branch staff and manage labor costs, West Suburban Bank implemented the Kronos® FMSI Scheduler™ and Kronos FMSI Performance Analytics™ solutions. Based on forecast data, staff schedules are aligned with expected customer traffic, increasing employee productivity and branch efficiency, improving employee engagement, and better controlling labor costs.
Kronos FMSI Scheduler
- Create optimal schedules that align staff with account holder traffic at each branch
- Control labor costs by developing schedules based on accurate branch traffic and minimizing excess staffing
- Boost staff productivity by identifying idle time and redirecting staff to more meaningful tasks
- Increase employee engagement through equitable scheduling of less desirable shifts and tasks
Kronos FMSI Performance Analytics
- Boost performance by staffing branches to optimize sales and service while controlling labor costs
- Improve decision making with easy access to powerful, data-driven information
- Increase branch efficiency by using detailed information about staff productivity and labor costs
- Improve employee engagement with performance data as a guide for targeted coaching and training
Using the solutions' forecasting information and centralized scheduling functionality, two staffing managers schedule staff for the 36 branches. They identify branch staffing gaps and shift employees to nearby branches or use part-timers to utilize staff effectively while controlling labor costs. Correct staffing also improves productivity — as each employee has an opportunity to complete more transactions per hour - and supports cross-selling of services. Reports show the workforce utilization percentage and transactions per hour by branch and region. Centralized scheduling has freed up managers to focus on customers — and training and coaching staff. This has supported moving to a universal banker model, enabling staff to help customers with teller transactions, opening new accounts, and their other banking needs.