Weir ESCO, a division of Scotland-based The Weir Group, is a leading manufacturer of ground-engaging tools used in mining, construction, and industrial industries. Weir ESCO's manufacturing footprint spans globally, with the majority of the workforce in China, the U.S., Canada, Brazil, Peru and Belgium. Across these locations and more, the division's timekeeping solutions varied broadly. Tracking more than 2,000 employees, nearly 80 percent of whom are hourly, required difficult and time-consuming effort, from manual entry in China to complex, local requirements in the U.S. and Brazil.
What Weir ESCO needed was a solution that could:
- Accurately track employee time and attendance at the company's major locations globally
- Consistently apply each location's work rules and send alerts when violations occur
- Provide accurate vacation accrual information for employees in North America
- Offer mobile functionality to enable employees to see their timecards, accruals, schedules and request time off — from anywhere
- Deliver detailed and consistent hours reporting companywide to managers and finance staff
- Provide real-time visibility into labor data for informed decision making
"[With Kronos] we feel confident that we have accurate hours and we're in compliance with regulations. By recording start and stop times we can provide accurate timekeeping records for employees. And as we got more sites on Kronos, we have had better accuracy in our total incident rate reporting and financial hours reporting."
Principal HRIS Analyst
Weir ESCO implemented a Kronos® workforce management solution at many of its locations worldwide to improve productivity, better manage labor costs, mitigate compliance issues and enhance employee engagement. The solution interfaces with the company's Oracle solution.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Control labor costs by accurately calculating and tracking time-off accruals
- Automatically enforce organization-specific accrual policies to support compliance and impartial treatment of employees
- Speed and simplify time-off requests and approvals with visibility into each employee's current accrual balance
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to clock in and out and submit and respond to time-off requests at any time and location
- Engage workers with easy access to critical workforce information from anywhere
By automating workforce management processes, Weir ESCO has eliminated hard copy timecards, manual tracking, and double entry of data, improving the accuracy of its workforce data. The company now has confidence in the accuracy of its timekeeping information at all of its major locations and confidence in the vacation accrual totals at its sites in North America. Consistent reporting of hours worked and total incident rate report accuracy has improved, giving plant managers and the finance department real-time visibility of this information. Weir ESCO also now has consistent application of work rules at each location now that these decisions are no longer left to team leaders, and alerts are sent when violations occur. Employees in Belgium use mobile functionality to make time-off requests. Hourly shop employees in the U.S. and Canada use it to view their timecards, schedules, and accruals, and office staff can also request time off and edit timecards on their mobile devices.