Washington County School District in southwestern Utah educates 30,000 students in grades K-12. Paper-based timekeeping, HR, and payroll processes led to data entry errors, incorrect payroll calculations for employees working multiple positions, long processing times, and added costs. Salaried employees didn’t always submit leave requests, and pay stub leave balances lagged behind actual. Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave was difficult to track, and HR was sometimes unaware of when employees were on leave.
What Washington County School District needed was a solution that could:
- Automate timekeeping and tracking of leave balances
- Provide real-time visibility into employees’ regular and accrued time
- Track teachers’ extra-duty time and pay, as well as time dedicated to specially funded work
- Integrate with its SunGard Banner HR/payroll system and Aesop substitute teacher management system
- Create audit trails relative to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), FMLA, and Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements
"Having an integrated [Kronos] system has unified our processes, unified our departments, and improved our compliance."
Human Resources Position Management Specialist
Using its automated and integrated Kronos® workforce management solution, Washington County Schools has increased efficiencies to improve productivity, gained better management of labor costs, and mitigated compliance issues.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Integrate solution time and attendance information with data from other solutions to gain a detailed workforce management picture for informed decision making
Automated timekeeping and leave tracking streamline processes and give Washington County School District accurate balances for increased accountability, while saving the district $80,000 yearly in paper and payroll labor costs. Tracking teachers’ extra-duty time is simplified, and job transfers for employees working multiple positions track time for accountability reports for Title 1 and other funding. Real-time visibility into employees’ regular and accrued time supports data-driven decisions, while increasing employee confidence that their regular and comp time are calculated correctly and their accrual balances are accurate. Detailed audits trails also have improved district compliance with FLSA, FMLA, and ACA requirements.