As the nation's largest producer of construction aggregates, Vulcan Materials Company needed a workforce management solution that could account for 342 different sites. Manual time-tracking wasted valuable time for payroll staff and created challenges in gaining a timely view of labor costs, efficiently managing sites, and doing local tax reporting. And since time spent in and out of the mines was tracked manually as well, MSHA and OSHA compliance reporting became time-consuming and arduous.
What Vulcan needed was a solution that could:
- Track employee time by location, cost center, and project to efficiently manage facilities
- Provide real-time data visibility to allow better labor cost budgeting
- Capture employee time automatically for streamlined MSHA and OSHA compliance
Pay employees accurately with appropriate cost allocations for facility management
"[Using our Kronos solution] managers can accurately report hours worked on specific projects, analyze and control overtime, shift production to under-utilized facilities, and report equipment maintenance labor hours. All of this labor cost data also assists the budgeting process."
Senior Systems Integrator
A Kronos® automated workforce management solution effectively tracks employee time by location and job and provides real-time information to improve labor cost control, increase productivity, mitigate compliance risk, and support workforce safety.
- Track, manage, and control employee time and attendance to reduce payroll inflation and manual errors
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements such as FLSA, ACA, and union rules
Vulcan saw huge time savings in capturing and processing employee time information, gaining efficiencies and saving valuable labor dollars for the organization. By implementing Kronos, the company was able to track employees scattered across more than 400 U.S. locations, with timekeeping data organized by location, job, and project or work order. Accurate timekeeping data assisted with streamlined compliance reporting and better control over labor costs. MSHA and OSHA reporting used to take 30 to 45 hours per facility, but has been reduced to 30 minutes with the Kronos solution.