Located outside Chicago, the Village of Rosemont includes typical governmental departments as well as revenue-generating entities such as an arena, a convention center, an entertainment district, a health club, and a parking garage. Rosemont initially used manual processes before outsourcing payroll to a third party, which, unfortunately, steadily increased processing costs and provided little flexibility in changing work and pay rules. The police force includes a large auxiliary force of part-time officers and has numerous employment rules to be followed. Workforce management complexities also include many employees working more than one job with varying pay rates and overtime thresholds. Workers' comp audits took days to complete.
What the Village of Rosemont needed was a solution that could:
- Provide in-house flexibility to adjust rules in the solution as work and pay rules change
- Track employee time within departments and at the arena, convention center, sports complex, and other revenue-generating entities
- Deliver real-time insight into employee overtime and how to accurately apply overtime rules, especially for employees working multiple jobs with different rules
- Create reports quickly by department /entity and village-wide in a range of areas, including employees' regular time, overtime , salaries, payroll, and more
- Easily track employee time worked in order to meet Affordable Care Act requirements
- Automate and streamline audit reporting to ensure accurate information is available quickly
"We're extremely more efficient now. The mayor can ask for a report about everyone's salary, and we can produce all labor costs for full-time and part-time employees in 10 minutes. Before, it would have taken three weeks."
The Village of Rosemont moved from a third-party payroll solution to an automated Kronos workforce management solution to better manage labor costs, increase productivity, and improve compliance. The solution interfaces with the New World general ledger solution from Tyler Technologies.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Automate and streamline the payroll process and reduce payroll processing time with configurable checklists and fast access to reports and data
- Deliver perfect paychecks every payroll and ensure accuracy of employee withholdings with automated tax table updates
- Empower employees with self-service capabilities for viewing pay statements and submitting direct deposit information
All employees use the Kronos solution, including full-time and auxiliary police officers. The police department uses the solution to future-date step raises, a nightmarish paper process before. When the sports complex dome collapsed, Rosemont tracked labor transfers in the solution for all labor needed to rebuild it, resulting in fast insurance reimbursement. The mayor can request and quickly receive labor-related reports, such as full-time and part-time employee salary reports, and solution data is very helpful with budget planning. An auditor used to take days to complete Rosemont's workers' comp audit; the process now takes minutes as the auditor trusts the solution's data. Affordable Care Act reporting functionality has been an enormous benefit and is a major reason why Rosemont switched to Kronos. Considering the former third-party provider's escalating costs, Rosemont also is saving money with this move. In addition, Rosemont is saving money on overtime, with rules built into the solution and managers able to track it in real time.