UTEC, a nonprofit agency serving the Merrimack Valley in Massachusetts, provides transformative life coaching, education, job training, and child daycare services to young adults ages 17 to 25 who have serious legal issues or who have been incarcerated. As the organization, now in its 20th year of operation, provided critical services, behind the scenes its payroll system wouldn't integrate with UTEC's Kronos® timekeeping solution, creating data-entry errors in payroll, sick time, and vacation time that required hours of reconciliation and led to unreliable reporting. Employees — and their managers — also couldn't easily access their accrual balances. Undefined workforce management workflows, processes, and documents hindered smooth management of UTEC's 80 staff members and 170 annual young adult participants who receive work stipends. As UTEC prepares to hire an HR director, the organization wanted tools to improve its human capital management.
UTEC needed a solution that could:
- Deliver an integrated set of tools for finance, payroll, HR, and frontline staff to easily access and use
- Create smooth HR workflows for recruiting, hiring, benefits open enrollment, and performance management — and generate HR forms and documents
- Provide seamless integration between timekeeping and payroll to improve data accuracy and staff productivity
- Give employees self-service tools to view their time, pay, and accruals information and to change their personal information and benefits
- Deliver real-time visibility into and detailed reporting on all workforce information for improved management
"We decided to use Kronos for everything, because we felt it's important to have an integrated set of tools. … It's not just the software though. Between a well-thought-out policy for implementation, excellent support, and quality software, it's a high-quality package."
UTEC decided to expand its tools to the Kronos Workforce Ready human capital management solution to implement and streamline HR workflows, improve payroll processing, enhance the engagement of its full-time employees, better manage labor costs, and support compliance.
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely, accurate payments to employees with every payroll
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
With assistance from its Kronos project manager, UTEC defined HR workflows for job postings, accessing résumés, hiring, benefits open enrollment, and performance reviews ― which were then configured into the solution. A solution dashboard gives staff easy access to the employee handbook, policies, and key forms, such as a performance review template. Alerts are automatically emailed when reviews are completed. Overall, HR processes are vastly improved. Managers also now have real-time visibility into workforce data for better management, and employees can use solution self-service tools to view their timecard, pay, and accrued time information. The integrated solution has streamlined payroll processing and increased its accuracy, providing timely, detailed reports. With less time spent on administrative tasks, staff members have more time to devote to UTEC's important mission, including innovating in the ways they serve UTEC's young adults.