The University of Toronto has 90,000 undergraduate and graduate students at three campuses, 12,000 appointed faculty and staff, an additional 8,000 to 10,000 hourly staff, and 21 unions. Each division had its own way of tracking hourly employee time — paper timesheets, spreadsheets, PC systems, and clock systems — and specially trained staff at each division entered this information into a complex ERP solution. Completing HR and payroll processes — including ensuring correct pay for those employees with up to 10 distinct job types with different pay codes — required a staff of 350 across all campuses. The university realized it needed a more efficient and accurate workforce management system.
What the University of Toronto needed was a solution that could:
- Electronically gather all hourly employee time to ensure accurate time and attendance information and reduce payroll processing errors
- Calculate an unlimited number of pay codes and apply pay codes accurately and consistently across the university
- Streamline workforce management processes to save time, reduce paper use, and increase productivity
- Ensure compliance with numerous legislative and collective bargaining agreement requirements
"Since implementing Kronos, I no longer have to deal with thousands of paper timesheets. I can now spend time with department managers to better explain university-wide payroll-related policies, procedures, and legislation that impact managers' daily operations. The information is accurate, and payroll has become a streamlined process! I feel more engaged, connected, and valued as implementing this process has allowed me to build better relationships with the department managers, and I feel more a part of the team."
Payroll Officer, Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education
The University of Toronto implemented a cloud-based Kronos® workforce management solution with 24/7 support with a few departments initially and based on this success is rolling it out across the university in an effort to further increase efficiency, boost productivity, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to clock in and out and submit and respond to time-off requests at any time and location
- Engage workers with easy access to critical workforce information from anywhere
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
The decreased administrative burden after automating the timekeeping and payroll processes in the kinesiology and physical education (KPE) department was so immediate and dramatic, other departments soon wanted to follow its model of efficiency. Employees and managers also have much greater confidence in the payroll system, with union and government pay rules applied systematically and all pay codes applied accurately. Employees enjoy the convenience of electronic timesheets and not chasing managers to sign paper timesheets. The KPE department alone is saving 1.5 tons in timesheet paper annually for its 600 hourly employees. For every 2,000 employees who move to the Kronos solution, the university calculates it's saving more than $200,000 a year in staff time not spent on completing and approving paper timesheets and entering time and attendance information into the ERP system.