Many hourly employees across campus at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) entered their time on paper timesheets at one location the day their time was due. Buddy punching was an issue and managers seldom knew if employees arrived late or left early. Employees had to hunt down their managers to submit paper leave requests, and managers didn't always remember to check if employees indicated their time off on their timesheets. Payroll staff spent eight hours every two weeks calculating employee time and entering it in an ERP solution and manually pulled information for payroll reports.
What the University of Alabama Huntsville needed was a solution that could:
- Easily track actual employee time worked and eliminate buddy punching
- Provide real-time visibility into employee time to curb overtime and increase productivity
- Simplify the leave request and approval process and ensure employees are approved only for leave time earned
- Streamline payroll processing and reporting to free up staff for other duties
"We've seen a huge payroll time decrease with employees using biometrics or a PC to clock in and out…. And with Kronos, payroll reporting is so much better. It has cut a lot of time off payroll processing."
Associate Director, Payroll Services
Using an automated Kronos® workforce management solution, UAH has realized significant productivity improvements, gained better control of labor costs, and mitigated compliance risk. The Kronos solution also interfaces with the university's ERP solution, creating a bi-directional exchange of information.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
Kronos InTouch Terminals
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
Employees now clock in and out at biometric terminals or PCs, eliminating buddy punching, ensuring employees are paid only for time worked, and significantly reducing overtime and its associated costs. Employees submit leave requests at the time clock; managers can see accurate employee leave balances and respond electronically. Instead of a payroll staffer spending eight hours every two weeks reviewing and manually calculating employee time, directors take 10 minutes daily to review employee hours. Payroll staffers have access to payroll reporting information at their fingertips, freeing up their time for audits and other duties.