United Staffing Associates helps clients fill full-time, part-time, and temp-to-hire positions from its 17 locations in California and one location in Las Vegas, Nevada. The company had been using a combination of paper timesheets and a recruiting and staffing solution to track the time of people working at client sites. United Staffing Associates has one client that requires time and labor costing by department — as employees move among departments daily — and has complex incentive-pay rules. As a result, one United Staffing senior payroll person spent about 80% of her week collecting time for the client's 150-plus employees, calculating incentive pay and the weighted average for overtime hours, and invoicing the client. Ensuring compliance with California meal and rest period law regulations added more complexity to the process. United Staffing quickly realized that to control overhead costs and improve payroll accuracy, it needed to implement a more efficient timekeeping solution.
United Staffing Associates needed a solution that could:
- Track all client employee time worked in multiple departments throughout the day for accurate time and comprehensive labor cost information
- Accurately process a wide range of client pay rules, including applying the complex weighted averages for employee overtime calculations
- Streamline payroll processing and detailed client invoicing as the client's headcount numbers increased
- Help the client track compliance with all state and federal labor laws, including California meal and rest period regulations
"The Workforce Ready solution is extremely robust and customizable, allowing us to adapt to client requests. We haven't had to increase headcount in any way to handle a client with more than 600 employees. With the processes we had before, we would have had to hire at least another two payroll people and an administrator."
Vice President and General Counsel
United Staffing Associates implemented a Kronos Workforce Ready® solution to manage timekeeping and help streamline application of its client's complex incentive-pay rules, in addition to improving efficiency and productivity, better controlling labor costs, and mitigating compliance risks.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching for exceptional timekeeping accuracy
- Provide employees with an intuitive timekeeping experience
Even though United Staffing's client significantly increased its workforce — including doubling the number of employees who qualify for incentive pay to 300 — inputting incentive-pay rules, exporting employee hours, calculating incentive pay, and processing payroll in Kronos takes just 30 minutes now, a process that would take a payroll specialist 12 to 16 hours to complete using prior methods. An incentive-pay spreadsheet calculator imports the hours worked by each employee in each of four or five departments on two shifts and calculates the incentive pay earned by each employee based on those hours. When payroll is processed, the solution adjusts employee pay for overtime and any other premium pay owed. Required meal and rest periods are also tracked for compliance purposes. Through solution reporting on labor costs by department, United Staffing is able to support the client in improving labor cost management.