In addition to 3,000 teachers, Tulsa Public Schools have 2,600 hourly employees custodians, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, teaching assistants, and clerical staff — who are spread across the district's 81 sites. When submitting paper timesheets for biweekly payroll, many of these nonexempt employees wrote "8 to 5" each day, an improbable accounting of their actual time. Timesheets were mailed from each site — and sometimes arrived late — to payroll, where three employees needed two full days to review timesheets and input hourly employee time before submitting payroll information. Being late with payroll was not an option.
What the Tulsa Public Schools needed was a solution that could:
- Deliver more accurate timekeeping to ensure hourly employees are being paid for actual time worked
- Track and allocate employees' extra-duty time to the correct assignment and budget
- Accurately track comp time accrued beyond an employee's regular hours
- Increase administrators' visibility into their employees' time
- Streamline the payroll process to create efficiencies and ensure payroll is delivered on time
- Provide easy access to accurate timekeeping information if needed for a Department of Labor audit
"We know that what's coming in through the timeclocks through Kronos is significantly more accurate than what was coming in on paper timesheets … We have more accurate time reporting now."
Director of Payroll
Tulsa Public Schools' nonexempt employees use a Kronos® workforce management solution — which interfaces with the district's Munis ERP solution — and biometric timeclocks, creating greater visibility into workforce data for informed decisions, better control of labor costs, increased productivity, and reduced compliance risk.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Automated timekeeping has given Tulsa Public Schools significant paper savings, eliminated duplicate entry of employee time — and the potential for errors — provided an accurate accounting of employees' actual time daily, and delivered more accurate time reporting. With efficiencies in payroll processing, only one person is needed to process payroll now, the second having retired and the third moving to another role. Hourly employees use the Kronos solution to track their extra-duty time, such as police officers working at ball games, and comp time. Reporting features give administrators better visibility into workforce information — including excessive absences and comp time earned in lieu of overtime — and support informed decision making. And during a Department of Labor audit, easy access to accurate employee information streamlined the audit process.