The Township of Toms River in New Jersey collected employee time on paper timesheets, a time-consuming process that took three payroll staffers two full days to process. With 12 union and other pay policies to follow, ensuring all pay rules — including shift differentials and varying overtime rules — were accurately followed was difficult. Moving to a generic automated time management system was disappointing as it didn't track or administer accruals. Payroll staff had to manually enter accruals in the system, which provided only a dropdown of information entered and had to be reset yearly. With each contract having different rules for straight overtime, time and a half, and double time, accurately processing payroll was a challenge.
What the Township of Toms River needed was a solution that could:
- Streamline payroll processing while eliminating manual data entry errors
- Correctly apply all union contract pay rules, including shift differentials and a variety of overtime rules
- Accurately track accruals and properly administer leave time
- Track employee time spent on grant-funded projects or work
- Deliver reporting functionality to support informed decisions
"It [Kronos] saves us a lot of time and hours because all of our rules are built into the system…. It also saves a lot of time and guesswork on whether we're paying employees properly."
The Township of Toms River uses a Kronos workforce management solution with all employees — except in the police department — to increase productivity, better control labor costs, and mitigate compliance risk. The solution interfaces with ADMINS and an Edmunds payroll system.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Control labor costs by accurately calculating and tracking time-off accruals
- Automatically enforce organization-specific accrual policies to support compliance and impartial treatment of employees
- Speed and simplify time-off requests and approvals with visibility into each employee's current accrual balance
- Automatically enforce FMLA and other organizational, local, state, and federal leave policies for ongoing compliance
- Increase productivity by automating leave processes, including requesting leave, checking eligibility, generating documentation, sending notification reminders, and following up
- Minimize the impact on operations with insight into leave cases enabling you to plan ahead for schedule openings
With all of its pay and work rules built into its Kronos solution, the Township of Toms River can now easily comply with a wide range of union contract rules, labor laws — such as the FLSA and ACA — and the New Jersey sick leave law, which allows employees to accrue one hour of earned sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Payroll processing time has been cut in half from two days to one, and Toms River is confident now that employees are paid properly. The solution automatically calculates shift differentials, straight overtime, time and a half, and double time. Accurately tracking labor for grant-funded activities and snow events has been simplified, too. Reporting functionality has delivered real-time visibility into labor costs and attendance issues so action can be taken quickly, and audit trail information is a valuable tool used frequently.