Town employees of Avon, Colorado, located near Vail and Beaver Creek ski areas, serve 6,500 year-round and 3,500 part-time residents. The Town of Avon found tracking its workforce labor hours and costs difficult with paper timesheets, and submitting and tracking leave requests on paper was labor intensive and inefficient. Using manual processes to track labor costs back to specific state and federal grants that fund transportation and public safety projects was complex and time consuming. And with a large number of part-time workers — some working in different divisions — using spreadsheets to track employees' full-time/part-time status for Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance was challenging.
What the Town of Avon needed was a solution that could:
- Provide real-time visibility into labor hours and costs
- Automate submission and tracking of leave requests and approvals
- Track labor costs to individual grants and provide detailed reporting
- Simplify tracking employees' part-time and full-time status to more easily manage ACA compliance
"Workforce Ready is helping us track employee time more accurately and charge it to the right cost center. Plus, it interfaces seamlessly with our financial system, which was really important to us."
Using the fully integrated, cloud-based Kronos Workforce Ready® solution to automate workforce management processes, the Town of Avon is able to track employee time, better control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve productivity. The solution also interfaces seamlessly with the town's financial and payroll systems.
Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better manage labor costs
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Workforce Ready ACA Manager
- Track average hours worked by full- and part-time employees to comply with ACA regulations
- Automate determining employee eligibility for ACA benefits
- Provide clear evidence of your ACA compliance efforts to government agencies
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
- Remotely monitor employee time and attendance information through cloud-based technology
Automating time collection has improved efficiencies and helps ensure more accurate payroll. At time clocks, employees can check their accrual balances, request time off, and view their schedules. Using a mobile application, police officers clock in and out on tablets in their squad cars. In the system, managers approve timesheets, respond to time-off requests, and manage schedules. Employee time can be tied directly to specific cost centers, such as special events and grant-funded programs. Employees change cost centers in the system or at the clock to ensure their time is charged to the correct grant. To manage ACA compliance, the solution notifies supervisors when a part-time employee is approaching full-time status, enabling the Town of Avon to maintain its preferred full-time/part-time employee mix.