Temple University in Philadelphia used a home-grown system to process timesheet information each week for biweekly payroll for its 10,000 hourly employees. Nearly 4,500 of these employees are student workers who log a maximum of 17 hours weekly at 5,600 jobs across the university. Some students work as many as four jobs in areas such as the library or recreation facilities or with academic or coaching staff. Accurately tracking student worker time at each of their multiple jobs was challenging for students and for supervisors approving their time. One employee also worked full time entering accrued-time information of full-time staff into the university’s ERP system.
What Temple University needed was a solution that could:
- Accurately capture the time that student workers spend at each of their jobs
- Ensure that student time working on specific grant or work study programs is assigned correctly
- Simplify and streamline the timecard approval process for supervisors of student employees
- Track accrued time of all full-time employees to improve leave management and compliance
- Provide detailed reporting on a range of timekeeping and accrual data
“Our timekeepers tell me our new [Kronos] system is a lot simpler and a lot faster. And on our side, when we’re processing payroll, we’re able to cut down our reconciliation process to a third of the time it took before—from three hours to maybe an hour, maximum.”
HR Lead Systems Administrator
All hourly Temple University employees use an automated Kronos® solution to track their time, while full-time employees except faculty and adjunct staff use it to track their accruals. The university has streamlined timekeeping and payroll reconciliation, increased visibility into workforce data, and reduced potential compliance issues. Integration with the university’s Banner by Ellucian ERP solution also has streamlined accruals tracking.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Control labor costs by accurately calculating and tracking time-off accruals
- Automatically enforce organization-specific accrual policies to support compliance and impartial treatment of employees
- Speed and simplify time-off requests and approvals with visibility into each employee’s current accrual balance
Using the Kronos solution’s Multiple Approvals functionality, students choose from a short list of jobs based on their Kronos ID when inputting their time. Each position is coded to the correct department and to grants and work study programs if applicable. Supervisors see and approve only time worked in their department, and timekeepers can see jobs assigned to each student during payroll reconciliation. Reporting provides visibility into workforce data, with staff particularly utilizing the pay code per totals and pay code per employee reports. With data flowing from Kronos into the Banner solution, payroll reconciliation time has been cut by two thirds, and accrual reconciliation time has been cut by three quarters.