Sunflower Diversified Services in Kansas provides supports for children and adults with developmental and physical disabilities — who live in one of the nonprofit's two group homes or 17 other residencies that the people they support rent or own — and helps clients develop skills and live as independently as possible. Most of the organization's 110 staff members tracked their time using a landline telephone system, and a finance staffer manually entered their time into QuickBooks for payroll. Employees couldn't see their time, and managers had no visibility into employees' missed punches. With 80% of Sunflower's income derived from Medicaid payments, correctly reporting time spent assisting each client was important but challenging. Mileage needed to be reported quarterly for Kansas Department of Transportation grants. Manual processes also made hiring employees and tracking their trainings for licensure very cumbersome, especially with the status of employees' training requirements tracked on a large spreadsheet.
Sunflower Diversified Services needed a solution that could:
- Provide a mobile option with geofencing to enable employees working remotely to easily clock in and out and accurately record their time spent with each client
- Give managers real-time visibility into employee time and give employees mobile access to their calendars, time worked, and accrued time
- Easily track each employee's training requirements and send alerts about licensure expirations at predefined times
- Track and report on Medicaid-funded activities and mileage for Kansas DOT grant-funded transportation
"The reporting that managers have available now — and they're just touching the surface — is so robust and in depth. Now supervisors can approve your time off, your calendar, and your edits. It's really allowed us to grow our management base within our organization and allow them to know what their employees requested."
Director of Human Services
Sunflower Diversified Services implemented a Kronos® human capital management solution to improve efficiencies and productivity, better manage labor costs, enhance employee engagement, and mitigate potential compliance risk. The solution integrates with the organization's QuickBooks accounting software.
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- mprove employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on an organization's policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
Streamlined HR processes enable Sunflower to more easily hire new employees to meet the needs of clients. Employees working remotely clock in and out using their mobile devices, with geofencing capturing their time at each client location. They also use their mobile devices to check their time, calendars, and accrued time and edit their timecards — enhancing employee engagement. Managers now have real-time visibility into their employees' information so they can see missed punches and approve time-off requests, calendars, and timecard edits from anywhere. They also receive alerts at preset times about employees' upcoming licensure expirations and training needs to help ensure uninterrupted client services. Detailed reporting enables Sunflower to easily document employee time spent providing support services to individual clients for Medicaid reimbursement. Quarterly reports also are sent to the Kansas DOT on the number of hours each Sunflower vehicle is driven and for public transportation DOT grant reporting.