With four hospitals and several clinics, St. Charles Health System is the largest provider of medical care in central Oregon and is the area's largest employer, with 4,300 caregivers. Clinical nurse managers faced challenges in staffing each unit according to patient census and level-of-care intensity while meeting patient needs, minimizing staff burnout, and staying within budget for hours per patient day (HPPD). They also wanted to find a way to customize patient intensity by unit. In addition, Oregon staffing law requires long-term record keeping of all patient/staff assignments.
What St. Charles Health System needed was a solution that could:
- Validate unit staffing needs and correctly align staffing with changing patient census and level-of-care intensity
- Equitably schedule clinical staff and assign workloads that support delivery of quality patient care while reducing staff burnout
- Provide real-time visibility into HPPD by unit to help nurse managers better control labor costs to stay within budget
- Track all nurse assignments relative to patient census and level-of-care intensity for compliance with state regulations
"Kronos Workforce Workload Manager for Healthcare is a fabulous product and easy to use. It's really putting the understanding and responsibility for managing resource hours into the hands of nurses and clinicians. That's huge."
Susan Simpson, RN, BSN
Nursing Analytics Coordinator, Patient Care Services
St. Charles Health System implemented the Kronos Workforce Workload Manager for Healthcare system, part of the Workforce Scheduler for Healthcare solution, enabling its nurse leadership to match each unit's clinical staff with patients' care demands to ensure quality patient care and equitable staff workloads while improving budget management and mitigating compliance risk.
Workforce Scheduler for Healthcare
- Create schedules that comply with staffing requirements, collective agreements, and labor law regulations
- Optimize schedules by aligning the right employees with the right skills at the right locations and times
- Increase employee engagement by giving them more control of their schedules
Workforce Workload Manager for Healthcare
- Proactively manage staffing needs based on patient level-of-care intensity, census, and churn rate
- Create balanced patient assignments that reflect staff competencies and continuity of care
- Evaluate and staff the oncoming shift to provide quality patient care and to meet HPPD and $PPD targets
- Support compliance with staffing ratio, legislative, and disclosure requirements and maintain auditable records
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
With an updated staffing matrix in place that incorporates budgeted HPPD and a historical average daily census, nurse managers can predict correct staffing levels for each shift. The solution gives the staffing office and house supervisors insight into current staffing levels, including patient intensity information. It assists charge nurses in equitably completing staffing assignments and workload at set times and also enables the staffing office to make informed decisions about staffing that supports quality patient care. The system's workload shading reflects patient level-of-care intensity and assists charge nurses in making equitable staffing assignments. A staffing analysis report helps nurse managers evaluate usage, HPPD compared to budget, and census projections compared to actual counts. Nurse managers are now more aware of how HPPD is used to measure productivity and how to better manage their staffing budgets.