Sprint Mart operates 90 convenience stores, along with QSRs, car washes, and fuel distribution sites, across Mississippi and surrounding states. Almost half the chain is open 24 hours. In a continually tight labor market, Sprint Mart faced common retail challenges: locating talent, filling shifts, and meeting the needs of a constantly churning workforce. Paper-based HR processes ― from hiring to onboarding to benefits administration ― consumed staff time and slowed getting new hires working. Store managers created schedules for Sprint Mart's 1,300 employees on paper, a process that provided no insight or reporting to demonstrate whether managers created best-fit schedules ― or that staffing aligned with customer traffic and transactions. If employees wanted to check their schedules, they had to call their store managers or stop by the store. Other inefficiencies included tedious payroll processing, which required three days of staff time and was prone to error.
Sprint Mart needed a solution that could:
- Provide a single unified solution that manages the entire employee life cycle
- Offer paperless HR processes to streamline hiring, onboarding, and benefits administration and get new hires on the job faster
- Align scheduling of employees with expected customer traffic and sales transactions
- Give employees mobile access to their schedules, accrual balances, and pay information to increase engagement and retention
- Streamline the payroll process, ensure all pay rules are correctly applied, and maintain compliance with state and federal labor regulations
"In the first year of using [Workforce Ready] Scheduler, we saw an immediate decrease in payroll dollars and hours worked. The scheduling module itself created enough savings to pay for our entire Kronos Workforce Ready suite for a couple years."
Director of Human Resources
Having all employee data in a single unified solution was a driving factor in Sprint Mart choosing the Kronos Workforce Ready® suite of solutions to improve efficiencies in HR and payroll processes, align scheduling, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance.
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Ready Scheduler
- Simplify creating best-fit schedules that align staffing with budget and needs
- Build efficient schedules that assign the right person to each position based on predefined criteria to maintain compliance
- Leverage enhanced time tracking and scheduling capabilities to provide new recognition opportunities for employees based on positive attendance measurements
Kronos Workforce Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely, accurate payments to employees with every payroll
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
When new Sprint Mart employees are hired, their application information is automatically transferred within the unified solution, also streamlining benefits enrollment and administration. Building in scheduling policies to create consistent schedules immediately generated payroll savings in hours worked, covering the cost of the cloud solution for at least two years. Establishing clear, consistent attendance policies with employees ― and in the solution ― has increased trust and employee satisfaction while also reducing attendance notations 80% in the first six months. With the mobile app, employees can check their schedules, accruals, and pay information and request time off from anywhere, saving time and deepening their engagement. Sprint Mart sees this technology and its transparency as an employee retention tool. The company is now confident about its compliance with labor regulations and the accuracy of payroll, a process that has been reduced to three hours, freeing up HR staff for strategic tasks.