Springfield (Massachusetts) Public Schools employ 5,000 administrators, teachers, paraprofessionals, and support staff to meet the education needs of 26,000 students at nearly 60 schools. While salaried employees received a weekly paycheck, hourly employees tracked their time on paper timecards, and a clerk at each location entered the time. Employees' sick, leave, and vacation time was submitted on paper slips but wasn't always noted correctly or deducted, creating a tremendous payout liability for the district when employees left or retired. In addition, teacher absences — which can negatively impact student performance — were an issue, which was reflected in the district's 56 percent graduation rate. Extensive overtime also strained the district's budget.
What the Springfield Public Schools needed was a solution that could:
- Increase employee accountability for verifying their actual time worked and time off taken
- Provide visibility into real-time labor data across the school district to better manage labor costs
- Accurately track employee absences districtwide for support information when working with teachers and the district's 13 unions
- Help reduce controllable overtime and its significant costs
- Provide labor data and analytics for informed decision making, better budget planning, and ongoing budget oversight
"We need quality teachers in front of our students, so teacher attendance is a big deal for us. [With Kronos] we're able to track and monitor that, which has helped us move the needle forward in terms of our graduation and dropout rates."
Chief Financial Officer
The City of Springfield and the Springfield Public Schools elected to implement an automated Kronos workforce management solution to better manage labor costs, increase productivity, and improve compliance. The solution interfaces with Munis, an enterprise resource planning system.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Gain a single view of reliable workforce data and access comprehensive reports for informed decision making
- Manage in the moment with visibility into real-time performance information that helps you see and understand labor issues
- Audit workforce data to see similar patterns across the organization and pursue opportunities for improvement
Hourly employees now clock in and out in the Kronos solution, verifying their time each week. Employees' sick, leave, and vacation time is tracked in the solution, ensuring accrued time is accurate and complies with cap rules, making leave liability easier to manage. When calling out, a teacher calls the substitute teacher system, which interfaces with the Kronos solution. The teacher's absence and the sub's time are recorded in Kronos. District administrators have visibility into real-time labor data and analytics, improving budget planning and leading to an 80 percent reduction in controllable overtime. Savings of more than $900,000 in labor costs has allowed the district to direct more resources toward improving student performance. Graduation rates of high school seniors have increased from 56 to nearly 77 percent over eight years.