SpiritTrust Lutheran® provides senior living, hospice, home care, and other life-enhancing services in 17 counties in Pennsylvania and three counties in Maryland. The nonprofit organization struggled to make timely and informed workforce management decisions while using manual timekeeping, payroll, and HR processes for its 1,000 team members. These paper-based processes devoured staff time, were error-prone, and provided no centralized view of workforce data, making informed decisions for efficient workforce management a challenge. SpiriTrust Lutheran wanted a single automated workforce management solution that would enable both collective and comparative views of workforce data.
What SpiriTrust Lutheran needed was a solution that could:
- Provide real-time team member data to compare labor costs by facility
- Deliver visibility into overtime to better control overtime costs
- Manage compliance risk associated with Affordable Care Act regulations
- Empower team members with self-service tools that save time and increase their engagement
"We're a data-driven organization … We can compare the cost of labor by facility, comparing the cost of RNs at facility A versus facility B, so we can benchmark within."
Vice President of Human Resources
Using a Kronos® human capital management solution in the cloud, SpiriTrust Lutheran can access real-time labor data for more informed decision-making to increase productivity, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance with regulations.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Automate and streamline the payroll process and reduce payroll processing time with configurable checklists and fast access to reports and data
- Deliver perfect paychecks every payroll and ensure accuracy of employee withholdings with automated tax table updates
- Empower employees with self-service capabilities for viewing pay statements and submitting direct deposit information
Visibility into labor costs by job code and location enables labor cost comparisons by facility, supporting increased efficiencies organizationwide. Real-time access to overtime information and detailed hours per patient day analytics has enabled SpiriTrust Lutheran to better control labor costs. Direct-care staffing information on work hours is automatically captured to meet payroll-based journal reporting requirements. With each team member's hours tracked, the organization knows when team members are eligible for benefits, including health insurance, in accordance with the Affordable Care Act. Using self-service tools, team members can request time off and select benefits during open enrollment, increasing their satisfaction. Managers use self-service tools to complete performance reviews and compensation management tasks, increasing both transparency and efficiency.