A private liberal arts university in Virginia, Shenandoah University used paper-based timekeeping and leave-tracking systems but encountered issues. Timecards of full-time hourly employees questionably showed the same times daily, manual time calculations were error-prone, and pay rules and rates weren’t applied consistently. Work-study students entered their hours online two weeks after the pay period began, not always correctly remembering their hours worked. Full-time hourly and salaried employees tracked their own leave time for year-end approval.
What Shenandoah University needed was a solution that could:
- Automate and streamline timekeeping and payroll processing to increase accuracy and productivity
- Consistently apply pay rules and pay rates to help ensure perfect paychecks
- Track employee leave time daily for increased accountability and reduced leave inflation
- Provide a mobile application to track the time of work-study students working off campus
“We knew there was a possibility that employee time wasn’t always accurate before. The Kronos solution provides a great way for us to see in real time what employees are doing.”
Using an automated Kronos® workforce management solution in the cloud, Shenandoah University can access accurate real-time workforce information to increase productivity, improve compliance, and better manage labor costs.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Easily track the time of employees working multiple positions
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Apply complex rules consistently for time off, including sick, vacation, and personal time
- See real-time accrual balances to reduce taking of unearned time off
- Oversee and manage costs of accrued time and quickly report on leave time liability
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to clock in and out and submit and respond to time-off requests
- Access critical workforce information from anywhere for on-the-go productivity improvement
The timecards of full-time hourly employees now show the exact time that employees clocked in and out. With automated time calculations — and pay rules and pay rates built into the solution — the university is confident that employees are receiving perfect paychecks. Work-study students enter their time in the solution on their laptops each day and select which of multiple positions they are working in, using a mobile app to track off-campus work. Automated workforce management processes have created paper savings and reduced timecard processing from two days to just four hours, including review time.