Relying on the honor system, Salt Lake City School District in Utah had its 1,700 hourly employees record their time on paper timecards. Completed timecards from the district's 43 schools and district offices were delivered to the payroll department via district mail. Payroll staff input employee time into the payroll system, a process prone to error from mistyping, illegible handwriting, incomplete information, and lost time cards. Some employees work multiple positions, which further complicated gathering accurate timekeeping information and creating perfect paychecks.
What Salt Lake City School District needed was a solution that could:
- Accurately track the time of hourly employees working single or multiple positions
- Track the absences of salary exempt employees other than teachers
- Ensure all staff overtime is recorded and paid correctly
- Help the district provide accurate paychecks to all employees
"[With Kronos] everyone is more confident that paychecks are correct. Their hours are recorded properly, and it's verified because you can go right back to the record."
With support from the district superintendent and bargaining units, Salt Lake City School District implemented a Kronos workforce management solution for timekeeping of hourly employees and daily attendance of salaried exempt employees other than teachers. The solution interfaces with PowerSchool's BusinessPLUS solution to bring in employee data.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
Automating the timekeeping process has increased payroll accuracy and streamlined processing, enabling the school district to reallocate one full-time equivalent to other duties. Employee overtime is accurately tracked — with managers having real-time visibility into overtime — and employees are confident their paychecks are correct. With all employee hours accurately tracked, the school district is confident it knows which part-time hourly employees are eligible for benefits, supporting Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance. For employees who work multiple positions, they can indicate at the time clock which position they are clocking in and out for, ensuring their time is correctly accounted for by position.