An interdenominational Christian university in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Oral Roberts University (ORU) had been using paper timecards and timesheets with employees, including 800 students and 300 part-time staff. Supervisors manually recalculated employee hours on timecards, which were sent to department heads for review and then to payroll for processing. Three payroll staff members spent an entire day entering payroll information. Manual processes also made it unclear whether university policies were applied consistently across all departments and whether labor dollars were being managed efficiently.
What Oral Roberts University needed was a solution that could:
- Automatically and accurately track and record actual employee time worked
- Provide real-time visibility into employee time for better management of overtime and other labor costs
- Streamline payroll processing and reporting to free up payroll staff for other tasks
- Ensure all university work and pay rules are applied consistently across the campus
"Our Kronos solution has helped us apply policies fairly and impartially across the university, so compliance is less of an issue. We have seen labor savings and know that employees are being paid accurately."
IT Systems Administrator
Oral Roberts University implemented its Kronos workforce management solution campuswide during the summer and trained supervisors and managers before students returned to campus. The solution — used by hourly and salaried employees, including full-time faculty for leave management — has enabled ORU to improve productivity, better control labor costs, and mitigate compliance issues.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
With timekeeping and payroll processing smoothly integrated, ORU has realized significant time savings — for supervisors, department heads, and payroll staff — and eliminated the need for data entry personnel. A marathon data entry day for three payroll staffers now takes just a couple hours to complete. The payroll manager does a quick review, clears up missed punches, exports data into the payroll system and runs reports. The university is confident that policies are applied fairly across the university and employees are paid correctly, mitigating compliance concerns. Managers also have insight into managing time for improved scheduling. Kronos educational services have enhanced the user experience and get new users up to speed quickly.