The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), which oversees the development and protection of natural resources in two counties that border the District of Columbia, was using an automated workforce management solution that would no longer be supported and it lacked the latest tools that could leverage operational efficiencies and savings. M-NCPPC's data center also had older servers that had reached the end of their lifecycle and required replacing. M-NCPPC debated whether to reduce server numbers in its data center, build another data center, or move workforce management to the cloud.
What Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission needed was a solution that could:
- Provide cloud services to give the commission immediate access to the latest workforce management solution upgrades and tools
- Eliminate the need for a larger data center, new servers, and more IT staff
- Deliver anytime, anywhere access to the solution, even during a disaster that might disrupt systems
"When we compared the cost of migrating to the Kronos cloud, it was less expensive to migrate, and it freed up IT staff to work on other initiatives."
IT Systems Manager
M-NCPPC selected a Kronos in the cloud automated workforce management solution to manage its 6,000 employees, including salaried exempt and non-exempt career staff, members of two collective bargaining units, and term contract and seasonal employees. Using the solution, M-NCPPC has seen reduced operational costs and increased productivity.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
- Remotely monitor employee time and attendance information through cloud-based technology
After migrating to Kronos in the cloud rather than hosting the solution on site, M-NCPPC has seen a 26 percent savings in operational costs over five years. Cloud-based services give M-NCPPC fast access to the latest solution upgrades and workforce management tools for improved productivity and labor cost savings. Kronos in the cloud also delivers a high level of support and solution expertise not typically available in house. M-NCPPC saw the added value of cloud services when Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast, knocking out power for days. Kronos cloud services were out for only an hour, while M-NCPPC's on-site systems were down far longer.