M Culinary Concepts in Phoenix, Arizona, is the largest catering company in the Southwest, providing a complete food and beverage experience at parties large and small, weddings, events, and businesses. The company employs about 120 full-time staff and 150 gig employees, with a workforce that swells to 1,000+ during the busy winter season. The workforce is on the go, with most staff working at customer sites across the valley, making it difficult to foster a unified company culture and creating the potential for miscommunications. Managing this large, variable team of hospitality professionals was challenging using separate timekeeping, payroll, and benefits systems, making integration of workforce data for reporting difficult. Tired of managing this large workforce across disparate systems, M Culinary Concepts sought a single, unified solution that could meet all its workforce management, HR, and payroll needs.
M Culinary Concepts needed a solution that could:
- Operate on one unified platform with a single employee record and database
- Unify HR, timekeeping, payroll, and talent management to streamline processes and help the company more easily manage the entire workforce
- Provide visibility into real-time workforce data to support accurate reporting and informed business decisions
- Deliver mobile functionality to connect employees and give them self-service access to view their work-related information and make time-off requests from anywhere
"Everything now is on the UKG mobile app — onboarding, benefits, timekeeping, schedules, I-9s, W-2s. We like to empower people, and the app allows them to take control of their needs by finding pay stubs and changing their personal information. For a very decentralized company, we're centralized with the app."
Brandy Jo Guzman
Human Resource Director
To improve efficiencies in HR, timekeeping, and payroll processes — and enhance connections with employees — M Culinary Concepts selected the UKG Ready™ (formerly Kronos Workforce Ready®) suite, unified cloud-based solutions that integrate all employee data in a single platform.
UKG Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease onboarding, administering benefits, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
UKG Ready Mobile
- Create a completely online employee onboarding process that's secure and in the cloud
- View schedules, accrual balances, and pay information and make time-off requests from anywhere
- Remotely grant time-off and leave requests, approve timesheets, and view workforce reports
- Gain instant access to payroll data, make changes, and submit payroll while on the go
UKG Ready Payroll and Payroll Services
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute and on-the-go payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely and accurate direct deposit payments to employees with every paycheck
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
Mobile functionality has played a key role in connecting M Culinary Concepts' off-site workforce, many of whom are young employees who prefer mobile communication. All new-hire onboarding is completed in the UKG mobile app — which includes onboarding checklists for both new hires and HR staff — and rehiring seasonal employees is simple. With employees clocking in using the mobile app, timekeeping is paperless and streamlined, and a built-in solution payroll checklist makes processing an easy task. When the pandemic hit, employees attested each day in UKG Ready as to their health status. This attestation functionality helped M Culinary Concepts avoid employee outbreaks of COVID-19 as work shifted from events to providing meals for essential workers. As restrictions are lifted and more events are planned, the company is using the solution to track employee vaccinations to satisfy customer requests for vaccinated staff to work events. In addition, the solution is helping M Culinary Concepts track employee data for compliance with new payroll legislation.