Lindsay Unified School District (LUSD) received a three-year U.S. Department of Education Teacher and School Leader (TSL) Incentive Program grant in 2017 to increase the effectiveness of its teachers, principals, and other school leaders by developing performance-based compensation and human capital management systems. With three to five training sessions typically offered every weekend at multiple locations, the district's business office would have been overwhelmed by processing 500 to 600 paper timesheets each month for this professional development time. In addition, LUSD needed to track the different levels of stipends that certificated staff members can earn for various professional learning proficiencies such as micro credentials and formal evaluations, a time-consuming task if performed manually
What the Lindsay Unified School District needed was a solution that could:
- Automate accurately capturing the attendance and time of certificated staff participating in professional development sessions
- Ensure session participants are paid correctly for their training times
- Track performance-based compensation types and stipends earned by certificated staff
- Provide accurate reporting on the time and funds spent on TSL grant-funded trainings
"We wanted to create a new norm that when you're ready to learn, we have a method that accounts for you. It's been very successful…. We use the extra-duty pay function inside the timesheet and customized the cost centers to build out all the different levels of stipends paid for different instructional and learning purposes."
Teacher and School Leader Grant Manager
LUSD implemented a Kronos Workforce Ready human capital management solution to automate collection of time for its 300 certificated staff participating in TSL grant-funded sessions — and track their stipends earned — in order to increase productivity, better manage labor costs, improve compliance, and enhance staff engagement.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Mobile
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to clock in and out using GPS coordinates, change cost centers, and complete labor transfers
- Submit timesheets and time-off requests and view schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Remotely approve time-off and leave requests, approve timesheets, and view workforce reports from anywhere
LUSD provided tech support and handouts to help training participants learn how to punch in and out using a solution app on their smartphones. Geo-fencing indicates each session's location and provides attendance accountability. Training sessions have been streamlined with no time spent collecting timesheets. The district feels confident that participant attendance and time are accurately captured so participants are paid correctly. Using the solution's extra-duty pay function to report time — and cost centers configured to the different levels of performance-based stipends — LUSD accurately processes significant grant funds annually for payroll related to the TSL grant. Reports on grant expenditures are easily created and exported. Monthly grant-related payroll processing takes just three hours, a huge reduction from the estimated two to three days required with paper timesheets. The human capital management solution also is considered a valuable tool in the recruitment and retention of high-performing staff.