With 750 employees in more than 100 job classifications, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District (LVCCLD) needed to effectively manage its staff to serve 6.5 million annual patron visits at its 14 urban and 11 outlying branches. LVCCLD’s timekeeping and leave processes, however, were mired in paper. Each branch faxed paper timesheets and leave slips to the HR office where many staff spent hours comparing labor reports to paper sheets, a labor-intensive manual process. Managers tracked employees’ vacation, sick, and FMLA leave requests on spreadsheets, paper calendars, and sticky notes, an imprecise system that allowed employees to take more leave time than they had earned.
What LVCCLD needed was a solution that could:
- Automate the time and attendance process
- Provide real-time leave balances to employees at time clocks so they and their managers know how much leave time they have available
- Create a user-friendly online experience for employees accessing their time and attendance, leave, and payroll information
- Help support compliance with Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requirements
- Accurately track labor time spent on specific grant-funded job duties
“Now, one HR person takes an hour to review employee time for the entire district. The yearly labor cost for this dropped from $17,000 to $1,700, a lot of manpower hour and dollar savings, allowing us to reallocate staff hours.”
Jerilyn Gregory, SPHR
Human Resources Director
LVCCLD is using a Kronos® automated workforce management solution that provides real-time labor data that helps LVCCLD increase productivity, control labor costs, mitigate compliance risk, and create a more user-friendly experience for employees.
- Track, manage, and accurately record employee time and attendance to eliminate manual errors and reduce payroll and leave inflation
- Streamline payroll processes to increase efficiency
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex FLSA, FMLA, and ACA requirements
Kronos InTouch® Terminals
- Provide employees with a simple, intuitive time clock interface for instant engagement and superior usability
- Gather real-time labor data and provide employees with self-service access to their scheduled hours, clock in/out information, and accrual balances at the terminal, freeing up managers for higher-level activities
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
Employee time is now accurately captured at Kronos InTouch terminals. Using grant-specific labor codes configured in the Kronos solution, LVCCLD automatically tracks the time of employees working in grant-funded positions, a big time saver. One HR staff person now spends just one hour reviewing employee time for the district, decreasing that yearly labor cost from $17,000 to $1,700 and freeing up HR staff for other duties. Separate job codes for full-time and part-time employees enable LVCCLD to easily meet ACA reporting requirements. With real-time accrual balances at the time clock and in the system, employees and managers can see up-to-date balances to ensure only time earned or allowed is taken.