KIPP SoCal Public Schools, an independent nonprofit organization in East Los Angeles, educates 9,000 students at 19 tuition-free charter public schools and employs more than 1,000 teachers, administrators, and support staff. Although KIPP SoCal was using automated solutions to manage its workforce, considerable manual work was still required. HR staff manually sent new hires onboarding packets, a costly and time-consuming undertaking when hiring 100 new staff at once. The accruals system didn't consistently manage accruals according to KIPP SoCal's policies. Even though employees could see their accrual balances, they weren't always accurate. HR staff manually assigned accruals for new hires and staff moving into noninstructional roles, and payroll staff had to monitor time off or contact managers about approved time, as employees sometimes took time off without approval. Without accurate accrual balances, HR might unknowingly pay out inflated leave balances to departing employees. Creating reports for the KIPP Foundation also took one HR staff person a full week to review numerous spreadsheets to locate and then enter the correct data.
KIPP SoCal needed a solution that could:
- Deliver a full suite of functionality that integrates all workforce data to provide a single source of truth
- Streamline HR processes, including onboarding and performance management, to improve efficiencies and the employee experience
- Ensure accurate tracking of employee time — including time spent on specific duties and activities — accrued time, and time off taken
- Provide extensive data and reporting capabilities so administrative staff has real-time data at their fingertips and easily accessible reports
- Offer scalability that will enable the solution to grow as the organization expands
"Part of our focus at KIPP SoCal is let's work smarter, not harder, so let's aim to automate as many processes as we can because we know when things are automated, there's less room for error."
KIPP SoCal implemented the UKG Ready™ suite — used by teachers, after-school instructors, HR/payroll and finance teams, and administrative staff — to take advantage of accurate, real-time data; improved reporting; and greater efficiencies. The UKG solution interfaces with Lever, a recruiting and hiring system, and with Helios, a teacher credentialing solution.
UKG Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease onboarding, administering benefits, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
UKG Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on the organization's policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
UKG Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute and on-the-go payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely and accurate direct deposit payments to employees with every payday
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
With the Lever integration, information on new hires automatically flows into UKG Ready and onboarding information is emailed to them, streamlining the process. Reporting data is readily accessible now. Solution users don't need to be experts to build reports, and staff can easily navigate the solution to access them. KIPP SoCal has created audit reports to track onboarding, accrued time, terminations, HR actions, and to-do lists, among others. With UKG Ready simplifying performance management, KIPP SoCal anticipates tracking teacher attendance as part of their performance. The organization also can easily report information to the KIPP Foundation in the foundation's report templates and can configure the UKG solution to meet the foundation's reporting requirements. The time needed to generate reports for the foundation has been reduced from one week to less than two days, and labor audit reporting for the Los Angeles Unified School District is more efficient, too, with labor codes tied to specific programs. As KIPP SoCal adds schools, its HR and administrative staff is confident the UKG Ready solution will smoothly incorporate workforce data from additional schools, supporting KIPP SoCal's growth.