Kansas State University's Administrative Support Center supports 67 departments, from the president's office to the facilities department and campus police to a campus theater and museum. Of the center's 1,400 employees, 400 to 500 are students who work part time, some in multiple positions. At the start of each two-week pay period, the HR department distributed paper timesheets, which employees filled out and had their supervisor sign before the sheets were submitted for processing. With departments siloed into separate entities, not all departments applied pay rules the same way. Kansas State has 197 pay codes and 17 types of paid leave. Employees also submitted time-off requests on paper sheets, which were kept in a binder and weren't always processed during the correct pay period. Six HR staffers each spent 30 hours every pay period processing employee time and leave requests before payroll, a manual process prone to errors and inconsistency.
Kansas State University needed a solution that could:
- Electronically gather all hourly employee time to ensure accurate time and attendance information and reduce payroll processing errors
- Calculate an unlimited number of pay codes and apply pay codes accurately and consistently across the university
- Enable student employees working multiple jobs to easily track their time working at each position
- Accurately track and report on multiple types of employee leave
- Streamline workforce management processes to save time, reduce paper use, and increase productivity
"We had six people working 30 hours every two-week pay period handling paper processes. Now [with Kronos] we have one FTE working 40 hours every pay period. We've also decreased the mistakes made with manual processes by 30 to 40%. We're confident we're paying people accurately and consistently."
Assistant Director of Human Resources, Administrative Support Center
To improve productivity, better manage labor costs, and mitigate compliance risk, Kansas State University implemented a Kronos® workforce management solution to track the time and attendance of its full-time hourly, student, and temporary employees and leave time for full-time hourly and salaried employees. The solution interfaces with a PeopleSoft HRIS solution.
Kronos Workforce Timekeeper
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Kronos Workforce Leave
- Automatically enforce FMLA and other organizational, local, state, and federal leave policies for ongoing compliance
- Increase productivity by automating leave processes, including requesting leave, checking eligibility, generating documentation, sending notification reminders, and following up
- Minimize the impact on operations with insight into leave cases enabling you to plan ahead for schedule openings
By automating timekeeping and leave requests before payroll processing, Kansas State University has decreased errors by 30 to 40% and increased the consistent application of the university's wide array of pay and paid-time-off rules. One payroll staffer spends just 40 hours every two weeks processing payroll, a 140-hour time savings every pay period. Students working multiple jobs — often with different funding sources — can easily transfer between jobs in the solution to accurately track their time working each position. Students, especially, enjoy using a mobile device to track their time. With greater visibility into employee time, managers are better able to control overtime. The facilities department alone saved $100,000 in overtime in the first year. A scheduled FMLA report each pay period enables HR staff to see who has been on sick leave for six-plus days and proactively inquire if an employee needs an FMLA application.