Manual timekeeping created compliance issues for the Jefferson County School District in Birmingham, Alabama. Employees felt pressured to sign timesheets completed by supervisors and one payroll staffer ignored paying reported overtime, leading to a labor-related civil lawsuit. When nonexempt employees arrived late, they often wrote down their required, not actual, start time. And those subject to overtime often worked extra hours but didn't report their time. Payroll staff also needed two weeks to manually calculate employee time and key the data into the payroll system.
What Jefferson County School District needed was a solution that could:
- Automate capturing employees' actual regular time, overtime, and extra-duty time
- Ensure compliance with all work and pay rules
- Streamline payroll processing time with automated time and pay calculations
- Assist in meeting Affordable Care Act (ACA)reporting requirements
"One of the biggest advantages of using Kronos is compliance, including compliance with the Affordable Care Act."
Chief Financial Officer
After implementing an automated Kronos workforce management solution, the Jefferson County School District has mitigated its compliance issues, streamlined the payroll process, and improved productivity. All employees except bus drivers use the solution. Teachers and administrators punch in and out for attendance purposes. Hourly employees punch in and out to start and end the day and for breaks.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
All regular and overtime hours are now captured, improving compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and wage and hour rules. Teachers who log extra-duty time are paid an hourly rate tied to a labor level transfer in the solution. Substitute teachers record their time in the solution and select the name of the teacher they are filling in for and are automatically paid by the same local or federal fund as the absent teacher. Leave time liability decreased 7 percent during the first year as tardy employees use leave time when arriving late. Payroll processing has been reduced from two weeks to 20 minutes and with two fewer staff. Complying with ACA reporting requirements has been smooth with the automated solution.