Manual timekeeping created compliance issues for the Jefferson County School District in Birmingham, Alabama. Employees felt pressured to sign timesheets completed by supervisors and one payroll staffer ignored paying reported overtime, leading to a labor-related civil lawsuit. When nonexempt employees arrived late, they often wrote down their required, not actual, start time. And those subject to overtime often worked extra hours but didn't report their time. Payroll staff also needed two weeks to manually calculate employee time and key the data into the payroll system.
Jefferson County School District needed a solution that could:
- Automate capturing employees' actual regular time, overtime, and extra-duty time
- Provide visibility into the timekeeping process and which employees are on premise
- Ensure compliance with all work and pay rules
- Streamline payroll processing time with automated time and pay calculations
- Assist in meeting Affordable Care Act (ACA)reporting requirements and streamline meeting federal and state Department of Education reporting requirements
"Over three years, we saw a 30% increase in teachers' professional development time during the school day. Kronos helps us see areas where we can improve and keep teachers in the classroom with kids."
Director of Payroll
After implementing an automated Kronos® workforce management solution, the Jefferson County School District has mitigated its compliance issues, streamlined the payroll process, and improved productivity. All of its 4,500 employees, except bus drivers, use the solution. Administrators and the district's 2,500 teachers punch in for attendance purposes; hourly employees punch in and out to start and end the day and for breaks.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
All regular and overtime hours are now captured, improving compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and wage and hour rules. Teachers who log extra-duty time are paid an hourly rate tied to a labor level transfer in the solution. Complying with reporting requirements, including the state-mandated Continuous Improvement Plan report on teacher absences, has been smooth with the automated solution. The district can easily track leave types, helping administrators create strategies to reduce teacher days out of the classroom — in support of improved student performance. Leave time liability decreased 7 percent during the first year as tardy employees use leave time when arriving late. Payroll processing has been reduced from two weeks to 20 minutes and with two fewer staff.