The Inns of Aurora include five distinctive properties in the Finger Lakes region of New York, as well as restaurants with award-winning cuisine and the Village Market with locally sourced foods and gifts. The organization's workforce swells from 120 to 200-plus during peak season, with employees often cross-trained for various roles across the business. Timekeeping methods varied by location, making time tracking of staff working at multiple locations and positions particularly challenging. During weekly payroll processing, the HR director spent eight or more hours tabulating and re-entering employee time and manually calculating overtime for employees working multiple positions. Complex New York hospitality labor laws and pay rules also had to be followed.
The Inns of Aurora needed a solution that could:
- Be customized to perform a wide variety of functions to handle the organization's unique operations, including rehiring seasonal employees
- Enable employees working multiple positions to seamlessly change labor levels so each position's pay rate is accurately applied
- Give managers real-time visibility into workforce information to improve management of employees and budgets
- Handle multiple accrual policy rules for exempt and nonexempt employees
- Evolve and scale as the organization adds new properties and more employees
"Before, it was organized chaos. Kronos has empowered our managers to take responsibility for their payroll. They wanted this information — how many hours were worked in their department and how many hours each person worked — but never had access to reports until now. Kronos has equipped us to enable them to become much better managers."
Director of Rooms
The Inns of Aurora implemented a configurable Kronos® human capital management solution to more easily manage its full-time and seasonal workforce — including streamlining payroll processing, better managing labor costs, enabling informed business decisions, and reducing compliance risk.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely, accurate payments to employees with every payroll
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
Kronos Workforce Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on an organization's policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
When new hires are each assigned an employee number, they now feel confident that their time working at one position or multiple positions will be accurately captured, and correct position pay rates and overtime will be applied. Managers have visibility into their employees' information and access to robust reporting, enabling them to better manage their employees and budgets. The configurable Kronos solution helps the Inns of Aurora easily comply with complex NY state and federal labor laws and scales to meet seasonal employee numbers and anticipated growth. When seasonal employees return, HR quickly reactivates them in the solution. With the review of employees' time and payroll processing now reduced to just three hours weekly, the HR director can devote more time to developing strategic initiatives to continue to attract, engage, and retain the outstanding talent necessary to deliver the attentive experience that guests expect.
Photo Courtesy of Inns of Aurora