In managing its workforce of 400 employees across four K-12 charter schools in metro Detroit, Hamadeh Educational Services (HES) was overrun with paper. With many activities funded by state and federal funds, employees recorded their start and end time for each activity in a spreadsheet. Each week they printed, signed, scanned, and emailed the spreadsheet to their supervisor, who repeated the process for HR, where employee time for each activity was allocated to individual fund accounts for payroll. The employee time-off request process created a similar trail of paper and offered no employee or supervisor visibility into accrued time available. HES prides itself on hiring the best of the best but felt its manual workforce management processes didn't support its focus on excellence.
What Hamadeh Educational Services needed was a solution that could:
- Provide paperless HR processes that streamline hiring and onboarding new employees and support retaining high-quality, engaged staff
- Automate collection of employees' time and attendance information and accurately apply pay rules so the correct fund accounts are debited during payroll processing
- Streamline the time-off request process and provide current accrual information to both employees and supervisors
- Deliver access to real-time workforce data to support timely, informed decisions to better control labor costs and more effectively manage employees
"Kronos gives us a competitive advantage with the automation of our processes and differentiates us as an employer. It's also such a strong, powerful system. Yet the strength of Kronos is not only in its products but also in its people and their commitment to the success of their customers."
Chief Operating Officer
Hamadeh Educational Services implemented a Kronos Workforce Ready® human capital management solution in the cloud to increase productivity, enhance employee engagement, better manage labor costs, and improve compliance. All employees — from custodians to teachers to administrative staff — use the solution, which interfaces with the organization's Paychex payroll system.
Workforce Ready HR
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better manage labor costs
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Workforce Ready Accruals
- Control labor costs by accurately calculating and tracking time-off accruals
- Automatically enforce organization-specific accrual policies to support compliance and impartial treatment of employees
- Speed and simplify time-off requests and approvals with instant visibility into each employee's current accrual balance
- Facilitate responsible usage of time-off benefits to minimize impact on schedules
During solution rollout, the HES message to employees was: We want this to improve your experience. Automating processes has enhanced employee engagement and morale and positions HES as an innovative employer able to recruit high-quality candidates. Employees now record their time on a computer, at a time clock, or on a mobile device. HR staff is saving time with hiring needs, training, and teacher certification expirations tracked in the solution — as is new hire and onboarding information, making the transition from candidate to employee seamless. State and federally funded activities are prepopulated in the solution, so employees can easily select an activity when recording their time. Real-time data visibility enabled HES to see it was overspending at one location and allowed for adjustments to ensure revenues covered expenses. Workforce data visibility also lets supervisors see tardiness trends, so issues can be handled early.