Garland Independent School District (Garland ISD) in Texas serves 58,000 students from 85 campus and administrative facilities. The district found using paper timecards to track employee time to FLSA standards was nearly impossible with inexact handwritten records, which also required extensive storage. Teachers' supplemental hours and costs were manually entered, an error-prone process. After a payroll employee collected timesheets, the district spent six hours each pay period preparing employee time information for payroll. Accurately monitoring and reporting on how state and federal grant funds were spent was difficult and time-consuming.
What Garland ISD needed was a solution that could:
- Automate timekeeping to eliminate potential buddy punching and streamline time tracking and review before payroll processing
- Accurately track hourly employees' regular time and all employees' extra-duty time to ensure FLSA standards are met
- Easily track employee time spent working in each state and federal grant-funded program and provide accurate reporting
"To better track and reduce extra duty supplemental pay costs, our Kronos solution captures extra duty at the department and campus levels. With the increased visibility allowing consistency and closer scrutiny, we have seen an almost 40 percent reduction in supplemental pay costs over three years."
Kronos Systems Manager
Garland ISD selected an automated Kronos workforce management solution, which interfaces easily with the districts' ERP solution, a substitute teacher tracking system to import teacher absences, and a bus driver field trip time-tracking solution. The result has been increased productivity, better control of labor costs, and mitigation of compliance issues.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Report accrual balances in real time to reduce potential for mistakes and abuse
- Centralize time-off policies for consistent, accurate enforcement to minimize compliance risk
- Reduce administrative time and improve productivity with easier management of time off
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
All Garland ISD employees use the Kronos solution, with biometric time clocks eliminating the potential for buddy punching. Hourly employees punch in and out to track time for payroll, while teachers, paraprofessionals, and hourly employees use the time clocks to track supplemental pay for extra duties, which are tracked by job and pay code. This accuracy has alleviated FLSA and grant compliance concerns. Increased visibility has resulted in an almost 40 percent reduction in supplemental pay costs over three years. An accurate review of accrued time also helps manage costs. Time spent preparing employee time information before payroll processing has been cut from six hours to 30 minutes each pay period.