Fred Loya Insurance, a Texas-based insurance company, has 720 retail locations across 12 states. The company had been using a workforce management solution with limited HR functions that couldn't track employee activities in real time. This became a compliance issue, especially in California where the company has 220 locations. The state's strict workplace compliance laws related to employees working too many hours or beyond scheduled hours or not taking lunch were difficult to comply with without visibility into real-time labor data. Lack of visibility into employees' overtime also created overtime cost surprises when payroll was processed the following week.
What the Fred Loya Insurance needed was a solution that could:
- Streamline time tracking and ensure employees are paid for actual time worked
- Provide real-time visibility into employees' regular time and overtime to control labor costs
- Be configured to follow the work and pay rules of multiple states and municipalities
- Follow the accrual policies of each state and accurately track employees' accrued time
- Provide self-service functionality so employees can check their hours, see paychecks, and update personal information
"By having Kronos, it's a lot easier to manage the workforce and do planning to ensure we stay in compliance."
Robert Estrada, SHRM-CP, SPHR
Human Resources Director
Fred Loya Insurance implemented a Kronos® human capital management solution to access real-time workforce data and robust reporting to better manage labor costs, increase productivity, improve compliance, and enhance employee engagement.
Workforce Ready HR
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on an organization's policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
Automating timekeeping and employees attesting to their hours worked has helped ensure that employees are paid for their actual time worked. Managers have real-time visibility into their employees' hours, receive an overtime report each Thursday night, and must justify employee overtime, which has minimized unapproved overtime. With work and pay rules from each location's state built into its Kronos solution, Fred Loya Insurance can easily comply with a wide array of regulations and prove its compliance. The solution's self-service tools enable employees to see their hours, accrued time, paychecks, and W2 statements; make address, withholding, and dependent changes; and complete benefits open enrollment. Younger workers expect this technology to be available, which supports employee engagement.