Environment Control, a building services company based in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, has 50 franchise locations in 19 states. Each franchise employs mostly part-time employees who work off site at customer facilities. Tracking labor costs and activities daily is vital to maintaining each franchise's service and profit levels. This is especially challenging considering the industry faces significant labor expenses and an employee turnover rate of 200-plus percent, although Environment Control's turnover rate is dramatically lower. Environment Control determined its time and human resources tracking solution lacked the robust functionality required to manage 4,300 employees in an exceptional way. The company needed near real-time reporting on daily and weekly labor costs by job, completed tasks relative to budget, and roll call information.
What Environment Control needed was a solution that could:
- Expedite hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Efficiently schedule part-time employees and supervisors across each franchise's customer sites
- Offer mobile functionality with location validation for employees punching in and out remotely
- Provide real-time labor information for better management and control of labor costs relative to budget
- Deliver both succinct and in-depth reporting about each franchise's workforce and labor costs
- Correctly process multiple pay rates and help ensure the delivery of accurate paychecks
- Provide a mobile solution that enables employees to see their schedules, time, and pay information — and receive company messages — on their smartphones
- Track compliance-related information to reduce compliance risk
"For our management teams running all over town working to track employee activity and ensure the handling of issues, having mobile visibility, schedule visibility, and labor visibility [with Kronos] has been critical for us."
Using a cloud-based Kronos Workforce Ready® solution, Environment Control has streamlined human capital management processes and has gained visibility into real-time labor information to increase productivity, better manage labor costs, improve employee engagement, and mitigate compliance issues.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Payroll
- Automate and streamline the payroll process and reduce payroll processing time with configurable checklists and fast access to reports and data
- Deliver perfect paychecks every payroll and ensure accuracy of employee withholdings with automated tax table updates
- Empower employees with self-service capabilities for viewing pay statements and submitting direct deposit information
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
In an industry with extremely high turnover and a mostly remote workforce, the Kronos solution's electronic hiring and onboarding process has cut Environment Control's onboarding time dramatically. Using the mobile app, employees clock in and out on their smartphone at job locations, and geo-fencing authenticates each location. An IVR system is also employed for clocking in without a smartphone. They also can use their device to check their schedules, time, and pay information and request time off. Supervisors use a mobile device to see who has or hasn't clocked in at each location and can deploy fill-in staff as needed. Reporting shows actual versus budgeted labor expenses daily and weekly by job, providing timely, essential data to help franchisees maintain profitability.