Located in the Silicon Valley area of California, the County of Santa Clara provides services to nearly five percent of the state's population. Manual sign-in sheets made scheduling and aligning staff with shift needs and staffing regulations difficult. Without access to real-time labor data — critical for 24/7 operations at the county hospital and law enforcement offices — staffing-level analysis and labor cost control was challenging. Paper timecards also created a laborious and error-prone payroll process, and using a manual process to comply with the various pay and work rules of nearly 30 unions was overwhelming.
What the County of Santa Clara needed was a solution that could:
- Compare scheduled time with actual time worked to provide guidance on how to efficiently meet staffing level needs and staffing regulations
- Deliver visibility into real-time labor data to better control labor costs
- Automate timekeeping to reduce payroll processing time and errors
- Consistently apply a wide range of pay and work rules to support compliance
"For us, a main differentiator with Kronos is their rules-based engine that allows for simple to very complex pay and work rules to be configured in the application without customization."
Systems Manager, Santa Clara County
The County of Santa Clara leverages its automated Kronos workforce management solution for visibility into real-time labor data to align staffing to improve productivity and labor cost control and for its easy configurability to comply with wide-ranging pay and work rules. The solution also seamlessly integrates with the county's SAP financial and PeopleSoft HR/payroll ERP solutions.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Create schedules that comply with staffing requirements, collective agreements, and labor law regulations
- Optimize schedules by aligning the right employees with the right skills at the right locations and times
- Increase employee engagement through more control of their schedules, including self-service tools for filling open shifts and swapping shifts
Kronos InTouch Terminals
- Minimize compliance risk by highlighting when employees are working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free managers for higher-level activities
Tracking scheduled time to actual time worked enables departments to determine staffing needs and meet specific staffing regulations, ensuring the right staff members are at the right places at the right times. Visibility into real-time labor data helps managers see when overtime thresholds are approaching so they can better control labor costs. Automated timekeeping has reduced payroll errors and helps ensure employees are paid correctly. Solution configurability enables accurate application of the complex pay and work rules of the county's nearly 30 bargaining units. Self-service tools increase productivity as employees can check their time and schedules and make time-off requests, and managers can approve requests online.