A major land-grant, science- and technology-oriented research university, Clemson University in South Carolina encountered issues with its manual workforce management processes for nonexempt salaried and hourly student employees. Paper timesheets didn't reflect employees' actual time, leave was taken but not noted, and supervisors often recalculated student employees' time totals. Manually tallying weekly time worked by public safety personnel on 14-day and 21-day schedules was challenging. Leave information was manually entered into a system that couldn't communicate with the university's PeopleSoft solution for payroll. And storing paper timesheets for a required seven years took considerable space.
What Clemson University needed was a solution that could:
- Track actual time worked by hourly and nonexempt salaried employees for audit compliance
- Accurately capture employees' overtime and leave time
- Provide time clock, web, and mobile device time-capture capabilities
- Seamlessly interface with the university's PeopleSoft solution
- Support paperless workforce management practices
"Much of our 40 percent reduction in overtime costs is due to overtime now being tracked by pay period and not payroll work week."
HR Manager and Kronos Administrator for Student Affairs
Using its automated Kronos® workforce management solution, Clemson University has been able to better control labor costs, increase productivity, and mitigate potential compliance issues. Smooth integration between the solution and the university's PeopleSoft solution has streamlined the payroll process, saving time and increasing accuracy.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Control labor costs by accurately calculating and tracking time-off accruals
- Automatically enforce organization-specific accrual policies to support compliance and impartial treatment of employees
- Speed and simplify time-off requests and approvals with visibility into each employee's current accrual balance
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
- Remotely monitor employee time and attendance information through cloud-based technology
Managers now have accurate real-time data on employees' actual hours worked, leave time, overtime, and comp time for informed decision making. With employees' actual time worked automatically tracked by pay period and not by work week, FLSA compliance has improved and overtime payments have decreased 40 percent. Rounding rules also are automatically and consistently applied. Leave liability has been reduced with leave time accurately tracked. Managers can quickly see an employee's current accrual balance before granting a leave request, eliminating the taking of unearned leave time. Visibility into employee time also helps managers anticipate employee work schedules to control labor costs. Shifting from paper to electronic timekeeping has reduced paper storage needs and supports the university's green initiative.