The City and County of Denver operates 51 government agencies - from municipal offices and public safety to the Denver International Airport - and struggled with paper-based workforce management processes. Transfer of timekeeping and leave information was slow and open to error. Payroll staff couldn't verify if pay rules were applied consistently and correctly before they received information. Lack of timely leave balance information made supervisors unsure if employees had time off available. And paper scheduling enabled favoritism in shift and overtime assignments and didn't ensure qualified staff was available to operate special equipment.
What the City and County of Denver needed was a solution that could:
- Automate time and attendance tracking to make sure employee time is accurate and pay rules are applied correctly across the organization
- Provide timely and accurate leave balances so supervisors can verify that employees have leave time available before granting leave requests
- Ensure shifts and overtime are awarded fairly and that only qualified personnel is assigned to operate special equipment, such as snow removal equipment at the airport
"Estimates of $5.2 million in savings over five years following our Kronos implementation and an additional $1.1 million in yearly cost avoidance savings have been spot on."
Susan Judah, CPP, SPHR
Senior IT Systems Analyst, Payroll Division
Using a Kronos® automated workforce management solution, the City and County of Denver has been able to improve efficiencies and productivity, increase control of labor costs, and mitigate compliance issues. The Kronos solution also integrates seamlessly with the organization's Workday solution.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Create schedules that comply with staffing requirements, collective agreements, and labor law regulations
- Optimize schedules by aligning the right employees with the right skills at the right locations and times
- Increase employee engagement through more control of their schedules, including self-service tools for filling open shifts and swapping shifts
- Access critical data such as budget, costs, and charges to better measure and report on important metrics within each grant, project, or work order
- Gain real-time visibility into how your operations perform against productivity goals
- Optimize labor costs by reconciling all paid time
Payroll processing efficiencies have helped reduce payroll staff from 80 to 35, creating a $1.5 million yearly labor cost savings; impacted employees moved to open positions or retired. Kronos implementation has delivered another $5.2 million in ROI over five years and an additional $1.1 million annually in cost avoidance. Automated scheduling ensures fair and equitable shifts and overtime and assigning qualified staff for each position and shift. Workforce Activities tracks labor time spent on department and grant-funded projects. Accurate regular time, overtime, and leave time are automatically calculated according to work and pay rules configured in the solution, helping to ensure employees are accurately paid. Real-time visibility into workforce data is helping to continue labor cost savings.