Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) in North Carolina employs 19,000 teachers, support staff, and administrators to provide academic instruction and support to more than 143,000 students at 159 schools. Hourly employees tracked their time on paper timesheets, often listing the same times even if they arrived late or left early. Each school's payroll coordinator collected timesheets from department heads or principals and keyed the information into the district's ERP system. Keying errors required corrected paychecks. Hourly employee comp time was tracked on paper, a time-consuming and inexact process. And tracking the time and correctly compensating employees working multiple jobs with different pay codes was tedious.
What Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools needed was a solution that could:
- Provide an accurate accounting of all hourly employee hours
- Accurately track the district's attendance policy point system
- Automate leave management to ensure accrued time is accurately calculated and employees are approved to take only accrued time off
- Provide biometric timeclocks to eliminate suspected buddy punching and badge swiping
- Offer a mobile solution for use by offsite employees
"We're able to get time to payroll much more efficiently now. The approval process doesn't take as long as it used to with paper."
Director of Payroll
Using an automated Kronos workforce management solution, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is able to accurately track all employee time, streamline payroll processing to improve productivity, and provide employees with visibility into their regular and leave time information to enhance their engagement. The Kronos solution also integrates seamlessly with the district's ERP solution.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Identify workers with attendance issues to improve workforce productivity
- Gain visibility into trends and patterns with on-demand reporting to control absence costs
- Get complete automation and enforcement of absence-related policies
Kronos 4500 Touch ID™
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
Hourly employees clock in and out at biometric terminals, providing an accurate record of actual time worked, ensuring employees are paid correctly for time worked, and reducing compliance concerns. Accurate employee time has created a $1,000 daily payroll reduction in child nutrition services for every serving day, a total of $160,000 in yearly savings. Operational efficiencies in recording and verifying time have increased by 50 percent in just the building services department, netting savings of 1,040 hours and $224,640 annually. Payroll processing time has been reduced from approximately 100 hours to 30 hours every payroll. For employees working multiple positions, job and pay codes configured in the solution track time worked at each position, with the expense charged to the correct location.