Central Freight Lines, a short and longer haul trucking carrier based in Waco, Texas, has 80 terminals across 18 states in the southern half of the U.S. after acquiring another company and increasing employee numbers from 1,700 to 2,700. This large increase in its workforce exacerbated challenges with its paper-based workforce management processes, from hiring and timecard approvals to reviews and promotions. The company also has faced challenges in recruiting and retaining drivers and must meet numerous trucking industry and overtime regulations. As Central Freight grew, both through acquisition and organically, they needed a workforce management solution that could flex as they brought on larger, more complex and more demanding clients.
What Central Freight needed was a solution that could:
- Automate both time and attendance tracking and other workforce management processes
- Eliminate potential buddy punching by employees
- Provide self-service tools to enable employees to review and verify their timecard at the time clock
- Easily scale to accommodate its rapid increase in employee numbers
- Track compliance-related information to reduce compliance risk
"Kronos understands the challenges we face around different overtime requirements and exemptions for the trucking industry. We have some rules that we've had for some time and Kronos has been very agile in accommodating those for us. They have a lot of customers in the logistics space and have been doing this a long time."
Director of Human Resources
Following its acquisition of another trucking company that also used a Kronos® timekeeping solution, Central Freight Lines upgraded the expanded company to the latest Kronos release and plans to add accrual and leave modules. The solution is enabling Central Freight Lines to increase productivity, better manage labor costs, and reduce potential compliance issues. The flexibility of the solution also has enabled the company to attract large and more demanding clients.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Verify employee identity and eliminate buddy punching with biometric identification of employees
- Minimize compliance risk by preventing employees from working outside their scheduled hours
- Provide employee self-service access to scheduled hours and time-off balances at the terminal and free up managers for higher-level activities
Employees no longer sign printed timesheets to verify their time but use solution self-service tools to review and approve their time at a time clock and request time off. This enhances the employee experience — as well as recruitment and retention — and creates time savings and less paperwork for managers in reviewing employee time and approving time off. Verification of employee time in the solution also supports compliance with stringent labor and timekeeping laws and provides auditable reports. Automating workforce management processes frees up staff time, making Central Freight Lines more agile in scaling up its services to attract and meet the needs of larger clients and was part of the reason Lowe's Home Improvement selected Central Freight Lines as a key carrier.