The Catholic Diocese of Richmond in Virginia employs 2,700 religious and lay people at 175 locations, including churches, a nursing home, and a school system that includes 24 K-12 Catholic schools. About 40% of employees work fewer than 20 hours a week. The diocese's locations used a variety of payroll processes, some manual and some automated, and pay cycles varied from daily and weekly to monthly, making reporting difficult. The diocese moved to an automated payroll system, but payroll information from this vendor was always two weeks old. Adding a layer of complexity in managing its employees, the diocese not only needs to adhere to federal and state labor laws but also follow canon (church) law. In addition, the diocese has 46 accrual profiles based on the number of hours that an employee works and the location. Leave types include parental, sick, personal, vacation, FMLA, and short-term disability and can be layered over one another, complicating leave management tracking.
The Catholic Diocese of Richmond needed a solution that could:
- Deliver an integrated timekeeping, payroll, and HR solution for improved human capital management
- Apply the time of employees working at multiple locations to the correct location budget
- Provide accurate, real-time workforce data to enable timely, informed decision making
- Help ensure compliance with all federal and state labor laws as well as compliance with canon law
- Offer mobile functionality that allows employees to view their time, accruals, and pay information, enhancing their engagement
"One of the best things about the UKG system for us is that the data is real time. You can't make good business decisions when your data is two weeks old."
Director of Human Resources
The Catholic Diocese of Richmond implemented UKG Ready™ (formerly Kronos Workforce Ready®) to accurately capture exempt and non-exempt employee time across its employment locations, streamline the payroll process, and access real-time data and reporting to improve visibility into workforce information. The UKG™ (Ultimate Kronos Group) solution interfaces with Dell Boomi to convert file feeds with other systems, including the diocese's third-party benefits vendors.
UKG Ready Time
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
UKG Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes along with self-service tools that ease onboarding, administration of benefits, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
UKG Ready Payroll
- Maintain complete control of payroll at every step of the process
- Get up-to-the-minute and on-the-go payroll information and insight exactly when it's needed
- Manage payroll complexity with ease and deliver timely and accurate direct deposit payments to employees with every payday
- Minimize legislative and tax compliance risk with access to all the information required to complete and file taxes
Having access to accurate workforce management information in real time has been an enormous benefit to the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. HR and payroll staff feel confident about the veracity and timeliness of data, enabling informed decisions and trend spotting. Some employees, including priests, work at multiple locations and/or for multiple departments. The diocese uses the labor distribution functionality in UKG Ready to charge the correct cost center for their time allotted to each location or job role. The solution also can easily track and apply the correct pay rate of the extra-duty time of salaried employees who are involved with external hourly positions. With UKG Ready able to handle the diocese's complex workforce management practices, administrative staff also feels assured of diocese compliance with federal, state, and canon laws. Extensive reporting is easily available, which each location's business manager enjoys as well as the solution's intuitive user interface. Diocese employees especially like UKG Ready's mobile app and its self-service tools, which enable them to view their real-time accrual balances and pay information from anywhere, at any time.