In the Cassia Joint School District in Idaho, teachers used paper timesheets to track their leave time, and nonexempt classified employees — paraprofessionals, clerical, food service, and custodial staff — used them to mark their time, with many writing seven hours every day. Administrative staff at each of the district's 16 schools reviewed timesheets, and principals approved them before the payroll manager reviewed them for extra hours and calculated accrual balances for the district's 700 employees, an arduous five-day process. Accrual balances were a month behind actual, and overtime visibility was minimal. Substitute teachers might work at multiple schools during a month, requiring payroll staff to pull time information from numerous timesheets to determine the total time of each sub. These manual processes were time-consuming and open to error.
Cassia Joint School District needed a solution that could:
- Accurately track the time of classified employees to ensure they are paid for actual time worked
- Streamline tracking the time of substitute teachers working half-day and full-day assignments at multiple locations monthly
- Automate accruals calculations and provide real-time accrual balances
- Document that employees are taking their meal breaks, in compliance with regulations
"Our Kronos and ReadySub interface is beautiful. Teachers, paras, and all employees put their absences in ReadySub, whether they require a sub or not, and it pulls information over into Kronos. It's also a much more accurate and efficient way to track sub time as they have one timesheet, not multiple timesheets that we have to combine."
Payroll Benefits Manager
Cassia Joint School District selected the Kronos Workforce Ready® Time for School solution to automate tracking time and attendance of nonexempt employees and leave time of all employees for improved productivity, labor-cost control, and compliance. The solution interfaces with ReadySub, which simplifies managing teacher absences and substitute teacher assignments.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Accruals
- Calculate and track accruals based on an organization's policies and automatically enforce policies consistently to mitigate compliance risk
- Get immediate access to accrual balances for submitting or approving time-off requests
- See the amount of time earned, taken, scheduled, and remaining for all paid-time-off categories
Workforce Ready Attestation
- Capture employee attestation of meal and rest breaks to minimize compliance risk
- Simplify employee attestation of their timesheets and utilize customized prompts that reflect an organization's requirements
- Utilize robust reporting that helps managers monitor employee attestation, recognize trends, and demonstrate compliance
Accessing Workforce Ready with the mobile app or on a school computer, teachers check their accruals and nonexempt employees — including subs — punch in and out daily, including for meal breaks, enabling the district to capture classified employees' actual time worked. These employees also attest in the solution that they have taken a meal break. Overtime visibility now lets supervisors spot trends to curb unapproved time. Teachers working in after-school programs clock in and out to track their extra-duty time for grant reimbursement. The solution's interface with ReadySub provides accurate, to-the-minute time tracking of subs working half-day and full-day assignments to help control these labor costs and provides a single timesheet of each sub's hours spent at multiple locations each month. Automated accrual calculations give employees real-time balances and have reduced the payroll manager's time on this task by 75%. And with each school's calendar built into the solution, including snow days and special days off recorded by school, timesheets accurately reflect when each school is in session.