Boulder County in Colorado employs nearly 2,000 permanent positions — and an additional 800 employees for temporary, seasonal, and elections-related work — to provide services to county residents and visitors. Prior to switching to Kronos, the county used a homegrown solution to manage its workforce, and each department and division administered time in its own way, creating inconsistencies. Collecting paper timesheets — which often listed employee time as 8 to 4:30 every day — could take up to a week before processing. Payroll coordinators manually entered timesheet totals into the system, a process that was prone to error and provided no time detail. An audit required payroll staff to search through boxes to locate specific timesheets, an arduous task. The county recognized that it needed to automate these manual workforce management processes, which were time consuming, inefficient, inconsistent, and open to error.
Boulder County needed a solution that could:
- Automate collection of employees' time and attendance information and accurately apply all pay and work rules
- Eliminate storage needs to archive paper timesheets and automate the audit process
- Provide accurate reporting on the time and funds spent on grant-funded activities
- Deliver access to real-time workforce data to support timely, informed decisions to control labor costs and more effectively manage employees
"With Kronos, we've gotten rid of paper, consistently apply our policies across all departments, can audit entries, check payroll on a high-end audit basis, and track grant-funded projects. Kronos allowed us to streamline project accounting after the 2013 flood for FEMA reimbursement. Kronos has vastly improved our accuracy and reporting."
To improve productivity, better manage labor costs, increase employee engagement, and reduce compliance risk, Boulder County selected a Kronos® human capital management solution in the cloud for its regular and seasonal employees. The solution interfaces with the county's Oracle ERP solution, benefits vendors, and the state's Health and Human Services system.
Kronos Workforce Timekeeper
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
Kronos Workforce HR
- Boost employee productivity and engagement by effectively hiring, managing, developing, and retaining best-fit employees
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Payroll
- Automate and streamline the payroll process and reduce payroll processing time with configurable checklists and fast access to reports and data
- Deliver perfect paychecks every payroll and ensure accuracy of employee withholdings with automated tax table updates
- Empower employees with self-service capabilities for viewing pay statements and submitting direct deposit information
When catastrophic flooding did more than $450 million in damage in Boulder County, the county's Kronos solution was put to the test in tracking employee time spent on FEMA-funded cleanup and reconstruction projects approved for reimbursement. Numerous job codes for flood project time and direct administrative time supported a smooth reimbursement process. The solution also easily tracks the time that individual employees spend on state-funded Health and Human Services activities — as well as other grant-funded activities — and interfaces with the state system for direct fund transfer. By automating the collection of employee regular and specific activity time, Boulder County has an accurate picture of employee time and more consistent practices across all departments and divisions. The county is making good use of the solution's canned and custom reports for greater insight into its workforce and better management of employees.