Boba Tea Company, an upscale chain offering specialty tea drinks at 15 locations in New Mexico and Arizona, is on a path for growth that separate timekeeping, payroll, scheduling, and HR systems couldn't support. Store managers struggled to create compliant staffing schedules using spreadsheets of projected sales. Inadequate staffing led to long lines and missed sales opportunities. District managers had no real-time visibility into timekeeping and accruals data, and corporate HR had no way to consistently communicate important news. Everyone depended on calls and emails to check and double-check crucial information such as labor hours, sales, schedules, and PTO. With every new location launched, the communication problem became more complex and time-consuming.
Boba Tea Company needed a solution that could:
- Help the company stand-out as an employer of choice for college-age employees by offering consistent work schedules adapted to their busy lives
- Align scheduling with expected customer traffic and transaction numbers while ensuring employees get their required break time
- Provide an accurate accounting of each employee's hours worked
- Give managers at all levels visibility into the reasons for employees' extra time worked
- Accurately apply an hourly pay increase as soon as it's awarded
- Provide a unified platform for communication that is consistent and engaging
"If you're looking to grow, you have to have software that can grow with you, and Kronos is a tool that has helped us expand our business."
Chief Operating Officer
Boba Tea Company sought a human capital management solution used by other successful retailers and selected a Kronos solution for its growing company of 160-plus employees. The solution is designed to improve productivity, better manage labor costs, enhance employee engagement, and reduce compliance risk.
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
Kronos Workforce Ready Scheduler
- Simplify creating best-fit schedules that align staffing with budget and demand
- Automatically generate demand- and volume-based schedules using transactional data to predict demand
- Build efficient schedules that assign the right person to each position based on predefined criteria to maintain compliance and accommodate employees' needs for predictable schedules
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Using projected sales-per-labor-hour data — for each day from store opening to closing — the Kronos scheduling solution calculates the number of employees needed for each shift at each store. Managers schedule employees based on this information and staff availability. Time-stamped transaction information enables management to see whether an employee's time beyond a scheduled shift was warranted. Store and district managers and payroll staff are now saving a combined 70 hours per pay period in reviewing employee time before payroll processing, and employees are seeing pay increases applied immediately and accurately following their review. In the first year of using transactional data to schedule appropriately, Boba Tea Company has increased general sales by 23 percent.