Balance, Inc. in Grafton, Wisconsin, provides a range of services and supports that enable individuals with developmental disabilities to live on their own with supported living services, live in adult group homes with supervision, and participate in day programs. The nonprofit organization had been using paper-based processes to schedule and track the time and attendance of its nearly 90 hourly employees before inputting this information into a pieced-together system of solutions. This created issues with the visibility and accuracy of employee information — as well as extra work. Before payroll was processed, the schedules of hourly employees had to be compared to their actual punches, a time-consuming task. When employees wanted to check their schedules, timesheets, or paychecks, they had to access three separate systems.
Balance needed a solution that could:
- Streamline onboarding of new hires to get them on the job sooner and free up HR staff for other tasks
- Schedule employees based on their skills to meet the special skills needed for each location and program
- Provide real-time visibility into employee time and accurately capture all time worked
- Streamline the payroll review process and ensure all pay rules are correctly applied
- Enhance employee engagement through easy access to their schedules and employment information
"Onboarding takes a fraction of the time now because information goes from their application to the employee record. It's made bringing a new person in go from four hours to, at most, one-and-a-half hours. And we bring in one new person per week, on average. That saves quite a bit of time over a year."
Human Resources Manager
Balance, Inc. selected a Kronos® human capital management solution to more effectively manage its workforce, increase productivity, better control labor costs, mitigate compliance risk, and enhance employee engagement.
Kronos Workforce Ready HR
- Increase efficiency with paperless and streamlined HR processes and self-service tools that ease administering benefits, onboarding, and managing employee information
- Improve administrative accuracy by reducing errors and ensuring consistency with a single system for all employee records and HR functions
- Allow for on-demand, mobile-friendly access to schedules, accrual balances, and pay statements at any time and location
- Engage in proactive compliance with changing labor laws and regulations, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Kronos Workforce Ready Scheduler
- Simplify creating best-fit schedules that align staffing with budget and needs
- Build efficient schedules that assign the right person to each position based on predefined criteria to maintain compliance
Kronos Workforce Ready Time Keeping
- Streamline time tracking with automated collection of time and attendance information and conversion of worked hours to payroll
- Apply user-defined pay and work rules to help improve payroll accuracy and reduce compliance risk
- Improve employee engagement through real-time access to time and attendance and accrual information
When Balance hires a new employee — typically one per week — automated onboarding has reduced this process from four hours to one-and-a-half hours, getting new hires working sooner and saving HR staff approximately 130 hours per year. The solution automatically schedules only employees with the right skills to work in areas that require these skills. Using the solution's self-service tools, employees can easily request time off and check a request status as well as their schedules, accruals, and pay information and update their personal information. Real-time visibility into employees' accrued time enables managers to respond quickly to requests and eliminate abuse of paid time off. Spending of grant money for direct care workforce funding is easily tracked in the solution, and extensive workforce reporting provides timely insight for better management. Balance also has found the Kronos Community to be a valuable resource for answers to questions about its Kronos solution.