Nonexempt employees at Atlanta Public Schools (APS) signed in and out on paper timesheets, but the manual system created questions about the accuracy of employees' reported time. Teachers are required to be on site 30 minutes before school begins, but a paper-based system couldn't definitively prove they were. When employees took leave, they completed a paper form and submitted it to a manager, who sent it to a timekeeper for keying into the district's ERP solution. The accuracy of leave reporting was questionable and not timely, creating issues for the district. APS was ready to eliminate paper-based processes.
What Atlanta Public Schools needed was a solution that could:
- Accurately track employee time and attendance to ensure employees arrive on time and are working their required hours
- Provide accurate leave reporting in real time to eliminate potential leave fraud, improve oversight of leave time taken, and support data-based decisions
- Streamline workforce management processes to improve efficiencies and productivity
- Eliminate manual timekeeping and leave reporting errors to improve compliance
- Interface smoothly with the district's ERP system
"It's important to have the right project team for a successful implementation. We had phenomenal Kronos project management people. We depended on them to guide us and help us along. They took time to understand our business and suggest improvements to make it easier."
Cynthia M. Nelson
IT Development & Analysis Manager
Atlanta Public Schools' 6,500 employees — including teachers, exempt, and nonexempt staff (but not contract workers) — use a Kronos® cloud-based workforce management solution, which interfaces with the Lawson ERP solution and Aesop, a substitute management system. After initially having a third party host the solution, APS switched to Kronos cloud-hosting services.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labor costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to clock in and out and submit and respond to time-off requests at any time and location
- Engage workers with easy access to critical workforce information from anywhere
Using the automated Kronos solution, APS immediately saw increased accuracy of employee time and attendance reporting. Both employees and managers have better visibility into time worked, and principals can see whether teachers arrive 30 minutes before school starts. Managers enjoy having easy access to reports for data-driven decisions about tardiness and excessive absences. Accurate, real-time leave reporting has alleviated concerns about leave fraud and compliance. Managers and itinerant staff who work in multiple buildings or tutor at students' homes use the solution's mobile app to track their time and request leave. Moving from telephony to the mobile app has delivered big savings, as has moving to a Kronos-hosted solution, which saves APS $9,000 to $10,000 monthly.