Published: May 14, 2018
Hard to believe it, but it’s time once again for one of the top payroll conferences - American Payroll Association's 36th Annual Congress! As tradition, APA provides a worthy theme to the event and this year didn’t disappoint. In honor of James Bond, “Pay Another Day” is this year’s theme and I think it’s going to be the best Congress yet. This is the one time every year that payroll professionals gather for compliance and educational workshops, leadership excellence courses, industry and technology updates, and networking opportunities. And don’t forget you earn those much coveted and needed recertification credit hours!
If you’re headed to National Harbor, or you’re already there, here are five things you shouldn’t miss.
1. Keynote Speakers – This year Jane Seymour, Steve Spangler, and Brad Montgomery all headlining this 4-day conference. Make sure to attend the opening and general sessions to learn from their experiences and inspire us. And don’t forget the special guest presentation featuring Josh Bersin talking about insights into where technology may take us in the future. With so many headliners, you’ll be sure to come away with new and inspiring ways of tackling day to day challenges, both professionally and personally.
2. Educational Workshops – choose a track that you most want to learn more about or is needed in your day to day job. You can also design your own track to make the most out of the sessions offered. These events can be exhausting, but attend as many sessions as you can…don’t skimp out! You never know what kind of nuggets you will learn, or the friends you can make. And most of all, don’t be afraid to ask questions in the sessions. If you are not comfortable asking in front of the group, take a moment after the session is done, and chat with the speaker. From my experience, speakers will never turn you away, and enjoy continuing the conversations.
3. Congress Expo –With more than 100 exhibitors, be sure to explore the world’s largest payroll expo and find new and different ways advanced technology can help you and your business. And don’t forget, many exhibitors have a variety of contests and giveaways (such as blinking martini glass pins), so visit their booths, get some swag and gain a little insight into the future of payroll too.
4. The Costume Contest and License to Party! – As is tradition, Congress would not be complete without the much-anticipated Costume Contest. This year, payroll professionals can choose their favorite Best Bond character, their most evil Bond villain, or even come as an international spy. Once judging is complete, it’s time for everyone to ‘get their Bond on’ at the License to Party after-hours event. Always a high-energy time, and this year looks to be no different. This should be on your must-attend schedule.
5. Congress App –How better to stay connected to all things happening at any given time. Everything from session content, time and location to details on speakers, Expo and vendor information, and handy reminders for better scheduling your own track throughout.
Don’t miss out on all the great knowledge sharing, reminiscing with old friends, meeting new ones, and just plain having a great time while doing it! See you all there!